E-PM1 focal length setting

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jackmell, Jan 21, 2012.

1. jackmell

jackmell Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 1, 2012
    hi, its a quick question really. I've got the Pana leica DG 25mm on my E-PM1, now when i'm in the SCP in the IBIS settings it says focal lenth 50mm... i assumed that this is in 35mm equivilant or should i change this value to 24?

although this quote from the olympus support page has me confused.

"Do not take into account the 2x magnification factor applied in the Four Thirds system; enter the actual focal length of the lens being used. If the attached lens has a focal length that is not shown on the chart, please select the closest value.

The focal length setting cannot be entered manually when a Four Thirds or Micro Four Thirds system lens is attached."

2. jackmell

jackmell Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 1, 2012
    chuffin hell..................

i came to my senses and changed the value to 24mm, and my images look asthough they've doubled in sharpness!? i'll admit although i was happy with the camera my images just didnt seem as sharp as other peoples. After changing the focal length i've seen a huge leap in quailty.

still not sure whether its meant to be on 24mm or 50mm but the results speak to me as though the former is the correct setting.

3. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi- With native lenses, the camera makes all the adjustments. Changing the focal length in the SCP is for non native lenses only - or at least that is what I thought! Surprised you could even change it, as it is greyed out on my PL3 when I use a native lens.

4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, with native lenses you shouldn't have to set the IBIS focal length - the camera already knows the focal length of the attached lens due to the electrical contacts/communication.

It's only when you're attaching legacy manual focus-only lenses that the IBIS setting needs to be used.

5. jackmell

jackmell Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 1, 2012
    thanks for the info, i assumed thats what was happening, im just confused as to why i can then set the focal length, and of course the differance in sharpness with the new images. i guess ill have to put this one down to the placebo affect. :rofl:

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The setting is only used by the stabilization system, and only if the lens has not communicated the focal length to the body directly. Ideally, the option would be greyed out when using native lenses, to make it less confusing, but it isn't.

DH

• Like Like x 1