1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 died, what should I replace it with?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by zacster, Jan 5, 2014.

1. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    My daughter's E-PM1 died, something with the shutter I think. It takes a shot very slowly, and then it comes out black. Out of warranty of course. Oly has a flat $95 repair fee, and I can get a refurb for little more. Nobody on the forum has had any easy solutions either.

What I'm thinking though is to take a step up for her, but I'm not looking to spend a lot of money, maybe $200 or so. I've seen a G5 in the mktplace forum for that amount. I haven't seen anything else that looks like it would be a good step. Would she be happy with the G5 after having the E-PM1? Is the size going to be a factor? She complains about the weight of the old Pentax adapted lenses I've given her, although she also carries around the Pentax Super Program they're from. She's been using that as an alternative, but buying and developing film gets expensive, remember???

She mostly just shoots, so while she has a decent enough eye, it is still a lot of P&S. The controls still mystify her beyond focus. I've encouraged her to take a basic photography class, but she has so far resisted. All that said, she does photos for the school newspaper.

She has the Oly 14-42mk ii kit lens and an Oly 40-150 version 1, plus a Pentax-M 50 1.4, P-A 35-70 and 70-??? with adapter. We also have an array of Nikon consumer grade AF zoom lenses that we've never even tried. They weren't all that great to begin with and overlap the Pentax.

So all that said, G5, E-PM1, E-PM2, or ???

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    are the epm2s used/refurb down to $200 ish already??

hmmmm.... id say get her something with an updated sensor. whatever camera is in that price range with one of the 16mp sensors.. theyre all a step up for low light form the 12mp in the epm1 i believe

as for size... im not sure. how old is she? my 14yo niece just had a heart attack when i handed her the a99. "um.. no. ill stick to this (the em5)"
    so i know for a 14yo in MY life that a big camera is OUT! she likes that its cute, that its small, that its light, that it fits into her small bag or a coat pocket

• Like Like x 1
  3. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd have to agree on going with a epm2… Look at Cameta, they add an additional year of warranty. Oly gives 90days then you are without warranty. I had to repair my old epm1 from a bump it took :D and no questions asked when i shipped it to camera.. they just shipped it to olympus and it was fixed pretty quickly…

• Like Like x 1
  4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Why not ask your daughter what she prefers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    The E-PM1 and G5 are very different cameras. The G5 is nice, but if you don't want a DSLR style body you aren't going to be happy with it. But if you don't mind the bulkier body, it is really a great value.

You might consider the E-PL3: http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-PEN-E...-14-42mm-II-Lens-Black-Factory-Demo-65952.cfm
    A step up from the E-PM1 but not too different.

You could probably put her old E-PM1 on ebay and make a few bucks. The kit lens will definitely sell, and someone will buy the broken body for parts. I'd keep the battery from the E-PM1 if you buy another Olympus body though -- they're all compatible.

6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I had an E-PM1 for a while and am much happier with the E-PM2 that replaced it. It's basically the same camera with a better, newer sensor, a few extra physical controls and a touch screen. I haven't seen a used one for $200 yet, but they're getting very close. Not sure if I'll be selling my E-PM2 or not. It's pristine, as I also own an E-PL5 and an E-M5, but I'm still debating whether to send the E-PM2 off for IR conversion.

7. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    I ended up buying a used G5 from a forum member. We'll see how she likes it. I asked her to take a look at it online and she didn't seem to mind. She just wanted a camera.

• Like Like x 1