E-PM1 dial

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, Dec 28, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I hav been playing with y Chanukah present (and have been very impressed with it thus far). Today I got a VF2 for it and I am finding that the E-PM1 makes a pretty fun little bit of kit. One thing that would make it even better is if I could set the dial to change aperture instead of exposure compensation. Is that simply not possible?
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    If you go into the dial customisation what is the dial set to do ?

One thing thats slightly counter-intuitive compared to my E-P1 is that the dial seems to give up/down, left/right functionality rather than outright dial capability.

So I have mine set such that up/down changes aperture and left/right is exposure.

Ideally I'd like to turn the dial to change f-stop but I can't work out how to do that on its own (which is what I suspect you're after too).
  3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yep...I have spinning the dial changing exposure compensation but I'd rather that spinning the dial changed fstop. So odd that you can't do that. Seems like a simple matter. I DID change the video button to be magnify. That's a nice touch (and better than my E-P1 by a mile.
  4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I find it odd that they limit the customisation choices so much - I can understand their need to work within a limited amount of firmware memory but giving a little more flexibility in button and dial assignment would go a loooong way to improving the flexibility of the E-PM1.

Olympus, knock-knock, anyone there . . . another feature request ? Along with focus-peaking please . . .
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada

Setup => Sprockets => Button/Dial => Dial Function

Keep in mind that the top button (the Exposure Comp button) will change the dial to the secondary function. So if your primary function is F-stop in Aperture Priority for instance, the secondary function will be Exposure Comp. If your primary is F-stop in Manual, the secondary will be Shutter Speed.

The only time that dial can be set only to Exposure Comp is in Program Mode. That's because it's program mode, so the camera must have its own control to adjust both aperture and shutter speed.
  6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Tried that already. No exposure comp button on E-PM1. That's how I set my E-P1 up but the E-PM1 is permanently set to exposure compensation when you spin the dial.
  7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Mine controls shutter speed in S and aperture in A. The trick is that you have to turn off Dial Lock (the one just after Dial Direction). That should do it. And the exposure comp button is dpad-up.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    First of all, which Mode are you in (PASM)? There is no default setting of Exposure Comp for the dial on ANY of the modes except Program. On Aperture Priority it's F-number, on on both Shutter Priority and Manual it's Shutter Speed.

The Exposure Comp button is up on the dial, and is a permanent placement. That's not a customizable button so it couldn't have been changed. By default it switches to Exposure Comp on both Priority Modes (A and S), or to Aperture on Manual Mode. The only Mode where it can't access a secondary function is on Program Mode.

And of course, all of those default assignments can be customized and changed by you.
    I'm confused... :confused:
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Does the E-PM1 not have a Program Shift function?
  10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That did it...thanks.
  11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I was in A mode. Tuning off the dial lock was the key. Happy camper = me. WOOHOO!
  12. mix123

mix123 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2011
    How do you change what the dial does in playback mode? It really pisses me off when it takes me to all the pictures when Im trying to move from one to another.
  13. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    You guys are great!
    Saved me so much time and frustration.
    Received my E PM1 less than an hour ago and it's resdy to go!
    Thank You
  14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    GEARS - Button/Dial<Dial Function,all the way at the bottom of that list is a playback button icon.