1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 - change focus box size permanently?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dhazeghi, May 25, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Is there any way to get the E-PM1 (or any other Olympus m4/3 for that matter) to always use the smallest possible focus box? I can set it by changing the magnification when focusing, but it always resets as soon as the camera turns off.

Thanks,

DH

2. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I see there was a thread on this on DPR for the E-M5, and no resolution there either. Is this really not an issue for people? I've found a significant proportion of my shots (more than 1 in 8) affected by this.

DH

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I thought since the EP1 (or maybe the EPL1) if you set the focus size in the box, it stays that size (the effective focus box, though not the representation on the screen).

I know this -- my EPL2 and my EPM1, when I tested them last fall -- nailed focus as if the box was smaller, far more often than my EP1, which was known NOT to retain the reduced focus box size.

Now I'll have to go test the EPM1 again.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, on the E-PM1 and every other PEN (including the E-P1), the magnification box should NOT reset when you turn the camera off, but should stay the at the same size in the same position (I wish it would stay the same size but reset position, but that's another story...).

HOWEVER, if you use the AF point selection button (left on the 4-way pad) and grab a box from the grid, then it will reset the box to the grid box size... which I believe is 14x on older PENs and 10x on newer PENs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    EP1 abosolutely reset the focus box. I tested this myself, and there was a lot of talk about it online at the time, and it was one big reason to move to the EPL1. I don't know about the EP2.

6. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No, here's what happens: I set the AF box size to the smallest possible setting using the magnify button. When the camera is turned on again, the AF box shows as the full size. If I then press the magnify button once, it will return to the previous small size, until the camera is turned off again.

But there ought to be a way to do this without always tapping the magnify button first.

I don't use the AF point selection button at all.

Thanks,

DH

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Did it? It's been a long time since mine got busted, so I can't bring it out to tell. I didn't remember it resetting, but it could very well be. However, I can certainly say for a fact that more current bodies like the E-PL2 and E-PM1 certainly do not reset, as I have working models right here.

If the E-P1 did it, then I'm sure the E-P2 did as well. Pretty much any changes in operation to the E-P2 besides Art Filters and Accessory Port (and I think there's one other thing I'm missing, but I can't remember now) were made available to the E-P1 via Firmware updates.

8. The worst part for me is that when the smaller focus point is selected, the directional keypad no longer operates any direct functions but instead just moves the focus point around the screen. On the E-M5 and E-P3 in particular this is a total waste of button function because you can select the focus point using the touchscreen as long as you are using the rear screen for composition.

9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Yes, this is the behavior. But, I did extensive testing between the EP1 and the EPL2, and the actual FOCUS behavior was: In the EP1, shutting off and turning back on again made the focus point act is if it was the large one (i.e. easily grabbing a more contrasty background). In the EPL2, even though the focus area showed larger, the AF acted as if it was on the small focus point.

Hope I explained that clearly. The large focus point was a great source of frustration for me for the 2+ years I used the EP1. I didn't have that frustration with the EPL2 or now with the EPM1, so I am guessing at the results, that the functionality of the focus box remains small even when on/off cycled.

10. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Really? Seems almost like a bug in the firmware, but if true, perhaps it will solve most of my issues.

It would really be nice to have the option to use an AF point, rather than a box. Especially with close-up shots of plants, the camera is forever finding new and creative ways to focus on features not exactly at the center of the AF box.

DH

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Once you set the size with the MF setting, you can switch to any AF mode from my testing, and it retains the size. That's been my experience, again just based on testing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Well, egg on my face. I may be wrong about this. The EPM1 (and I remember the EPL2, though I no longer have that camera) were both much better at grabbing focus on the subject then the background. But, I've been testing the EPM1, and it seems that WHILE IN GREEN SQUARE MODE I can keep the focus point all the way down to 14X, if I leave green square mode, for instance to select an off-center focus point, then I lose the 14X box. The Focus behavior confirms this.

The test I ran was where I had an item with a center that had no contrast, but it had some contrasting surfaces outside the center. In green square mode, the EPM1 would catch focus fine on 5X through 10X maginification, but was unable to get focus on 14X, because the box was so small, it only included the contrast-free center. But, if I set it on 14X and then pressed info to get to a different focus screen (such as the one where I can set the focus point), it would catch focus in a way that was more like the 10X or 7X focus point.

My bad. It's certainly better than the EP1, but it seems that if you leave green square mode, you may be left with the default focus point (whatever that equates to, I'm not sure).

See also this thread: https://www.mu-43.com/f42/enlargement-frame-question-em5-26801/#post260308

and this link from the above thread: Keep Magnified View ON with 1/2 Press | Olympus OMD E-M5, The Dedicated Resource Blog though I think this is for the OMD. I could not find this setting on my EPM1 :(

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I apologize, as my answers before were from pool side on my iPhone. I got home to test my EPM1.

I ran some tests. If in green box mode, I set the AF point to 14X and power off the camera and turn it one again, it remains at 14X. If I move to highlight and shadow mode, then back to green box, it is still 14x. If I move to highlight and shadow, move the focus point, power off the camera, then power on and go to green box, it is still 14X.

Can I ask -- do you have an EPM1 with the date/time issue? If so, then perhaps it's an internal camera battery issue?

14. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    No date/time issue. The box is definitely normal-sized after cycling the power on the camera. Moreover, when I test it, it really does behave as normal-sized (things that would be outside the small box effect focus). However, I did just have a thought - firmware is at v1.0. Looks like there is an update available. Release notes make no mention of this, but perhaps there is a hidden change in behavior?

DH

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Always worth a try. Please let us know the results.

16. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Retried with firmware v1.3 (the latest) as well as with 2 other lenses. No change.

Again, the behavior is that if I shrink the AF box (say to 14x), turn the camera off, then turn it on again, the box is back to the standard size. If I then tap the magnify button, it goes back to the smaller size. I'm using single point AF with the center box manually selected.

DH

17. krm

krm New to Mu-43

May 24, 2012
    I just recently bought EPM1, long time user of EPL1 and EPL2, but the lack of buttons on EPM1 really throwing me off.

I reprogrammed the right and down direction to WB and ISO respectively, if so, do I lose the focus magnify ability? I was trying to figure out any way I can use the 14x magnify, which I used to do on the EPL2, but haven't been able to trigger it on the EPM1.

18. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Well, there's the video button. That's what I use for magnify. There may be other ways too.

DH

19. yamark

yamark Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Kentucky
    I have no idea how to focus magnify at all on the EPM1. I hit the video button, but then it takes video.

Can someone help?

20. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Don't have mine next to me, but you have to go into the button function menu in the settings and you can reassign the video record button to af/mf there.