E-PM1 can't keep time

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by drd1135, Oct 7, 2012.

  1. drd1135

    drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

    Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Real Name:
    An odd problem. Whenever I pop the battery out of the E-PM1 the Y/M/Date needs resetting. OTOH, my exposure compensation (and other settings) appear to be maintained just fine. I assume there's some internal battery that keeps the time while the battery is changed, but that's just a guess. It's refurbished model that works well otherwise.
  2. HarryS

    HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

    Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Settings stored in memory chip. Time stored in clock chip that uses battery,

    Probably two weeks of down time if you still have warranty coverage.
  3. Hyubie

    Hyubie Unique like everyone else

    Oct 15, 2010
    Real Name:
    I believe it's a known issue with E-PM1 and E-PL3 - new or refurb. I got the same problem, and in our work's parlance, it's sort of like a level 2 bug, not a showstopper. I've learned to live with it because I don't like being away from my camera for 2~ish weeks.

    My preciousssss....
  4. hkpzee

    hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

    Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Real Name:
    Yeah, happen to my E-PL3 also. I never noticed this issue when I was using it in tandem with my E-P3 as I used both pretty equally, but now that I've switched to the E-M5 (using the E-PL3 a lot less as a back-up), I discovered this problem, which is pretty annoying. If this is a known issue, I hope they come up with a firmware to fix it soon!
  5. aussieg

    aussieg Mu-43 Rookie

    Oct 3, 2012
    Same with my 2 week old epm1 but something just have to live with
  6. gunky

    gunky Mu-43 Rookie

    Oct 2, 2012
    hello. You just need too change the battery. It's like a batterys watch. However you will need soldering equipement
  7. PeeBee

    PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

    Sep 17, 2012
    I picked up my new EPM1 yesterday. The first thing I did on opening the box was check for this fault. Put the new battery in without charging it and set the clock, then took the battery out to charge it. After about 20 minutes, I put the spare battery in, the t&d were correct. Took that battery out, left it about 5 minutes, put it back in, t&d needed resetting :eek: Put the fully charged battery in this morning whilst I had a flick through the menus, maybe for an hour, then left the battery out for about 9 hours and its still correct :smile: I'm guessing mines ok but I'm still suspicious due to that one off glitch. BTW, I spoke to a colleague who has an EPL1 and he says his does the same thing.