1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 Came Back from Olympus with No Serial Number?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twokatmew, Dec 17, 2012.

1. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Has this happened to anyone? I had to send my E-PM1 refurb back to Cameta because it started losing the date & time when I changed the battery. Cameta sent it to Olympus for a circuit board replacement. When it came back, the language was set to Japanese, but I managed to change it back to English.

I was planning to sell the camera when it started losing the date & time, so when it came back from Olympus, I just verified that it was working correctly, which it is. But I started playing with it today and now notice that although the label on the body shows the correct serial number, EXIF reports a serial number of "00000001"!

I know this is not the end of the world, but it appears to me that whomever replaced the circuit board did a hasty job, as they never set the serial number. Anyone know if I can correct this by getting into the service pages on the camera?

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Did it really come back set to Japanese? ... or did it never come back, and you're hosting a sinister doppelganger.

Lock your door at night.

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Hmm, I don't see any smilies in your response, but I'm not sure what to make of it. And yes, I know what doppelganger means.

Yes, the camera came back set to Japanese and with no serial number. Shutter count, etc. had been zeroed out. Seems to me the tech just replaced the board and passed the camera along to whomever ships them. I'm not particularly surprised that shutter count, etc. were not restored, but certainly the serial number should have been.

I was hoping someone who'd sent a camera to Olympus for service would comment on how their camera(s) came back.

And something I've been meaning to ask you, Ulfric.... Your sig shows one lens per camera. Do you really never change lenses? :smile:

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Its not spooky if there are smilies. :cool:

I find certain lenses match certain bodies more than others, so once I work them out I pretty much leave the lenses on.
    The exception is the e-pM1 where it gets used as the single body when weight is a factor.

e-P1 & 17mm,
    e-P2 & 45mm,
    G1 & Yashinon,
    e-pM1 & Sigma 30,
    e-pL1 & FED
    In the bag 40-150R
    ... right at this moment that's the lineup apart from the DSLRs.

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Also, check your basement for pods. Sorry. I'd get on the phone with Olympus America (they seemed like a friendly bunch when I called them once) to both tell them what happened and to ask for directions on how to correct it.

6. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Sounds like you've just been dealt the wild card!
    Lifetime warranty, baby!

7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes, I'll have to do that. It's a refurb from Cameta, so my warranty is through them, but hopefully Olympus tech support will talk to me. Fingers crossed! :smile:

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Ah, I see about the spookiness. :wink:

Personally I hate changing lenses. I don't mind carrying two bodies, but more than that would be a no-go for me. Then again, I rarely take more than two lenses with me, mostly only one unless I don't know what I'll be shooting. Then I usually take my zooms and one prime. Thanks for the insight. :smile:

9. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Well I just got off the phone with Olympus. As I suspected, they won't tell me how to set the camera's serial number in the firmware. But they were able to look up the service order once I provided the body serial number and told them it was serviced under Cameta's account. I must once again send the camera to Olympus, but this time, at least, I don't have to first return it to Cameta. I just got the "reevaluation and repair" form from Olympus, and it seems that all I have to do is take the camera to the UPS store, and they will pack and ship it for me (and bill Olympus).

So although it's a PITA to have to send it in again, at least Olympus is picking up the tab. The tech did say that when circuit boards are replaced, it's customary for the repair tech to set the language and the serial number, but that all shutter count info, etc. remains zeroed out.

I was planning to sell this camera when I discovered it had developed the date/time loss on battery change problem, so I took photos of the camera (and the fw page showing shutter count info), so assuming I do sell the camera, I can provide the original shutter count photo as well as a new photo with the new totals.

Anyway, thanks all for your responses. I'll keep you posted. :smile:

10. Olympuss

Olympuss New to Mu-43

Jan 12, 2015
    Sorry for posting to a long-dead thread, but the same thing happened to me when my E-M10 came back from repair in October 2014. Did you ever get the issue resolved?

11. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
  12. Olympuss

Olympuss New to Mu-43

Jan 12, 2015