1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 - bricked?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jimcapo, May 29, 2012.

1. jimcapo

jimcapo New to Mu-43

May 29, 2012
    Is there any way to recover from a bad flash? I received a factory demo E-PM1 today - while updating the firmware to 1.3, I pulled the USB cable far too early (software said it was done, screen on the camera said otherwise... I listened to the software). Camera won't power up as a result.

I hate myself, I've flashed numerous devices over the years... phones, network cards, fiber cards... but one look at Olympus software and I forget the number one rule when updating firmware... WAIT FOR A COMPLETED MESSAGE ON THE DEVICE.

Terrible, horrible newbie mistake.

Am I SOL? I've already opened a case with Olympus, wondering if there's anything I can do before sending it out.

2. ageha

ageha Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    Yeah, after you got the message on your computer the software will start updating the camera. If you pull the cable before that message, nothing will break. Once the update process has started you need to wait for the message on your camera screen, otherwise chances are very high you'll brick it. I'm not aware of any way how to recover from that at home. I guess you need to send it in.

3. jimcapo

jimcapo New to Mu-43

May 29, 2012
    I figured as much... kicking myself right now.

Does the "quick repair" shops support warranty claims, and would they be able to fix such an error? There's one in Long Island that I can trek to.... anxious to get this fixed after the stupid mistake I made.

4. ageha

ageha Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    I'm not sure what a quick repair shop is, we don't have them in Germany, UK, Australia, Singapore and Japan where I live but my guess is they won't have the proper devices to flash it. I'm not even sure if Olympus can do it that easily, it might get expensive.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You mean the Oly repair shop in I think it's Hauppauge? I think they do the repairs there.

6. ageha

ageha Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    Ah ok, I guess if it's an official Olympus repair shop they should be able to get it done somehow.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  8. jimcapo

jimcapo New to Mu-43

May 29, 2012
    That's the one. I've done some digging, seems I'm not the first who's done such a thing, and Olympus covered the repair under warranty - same body was returned, which leads me to believe there's some sort of recovery system that will get the unit into a flashable state. I've tried pressing power with a few different key combinations (various directions on the d-pad, etc) to no avail. Guess I'll be ringing them up in the AM.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/oima_quick_repair.asp

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I've never heard of anyone successfully 'unbricking' their camera. Good luck with the service center.

DH

P.S. The Olympus firmware update system is uniquely braindead. I've never seen another system that has so many problems. I've gotten to the point that I instinctively ignore new firmware announcements because I simply don't want the worry of something breaking in the update process.

10. ageha

ageha Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    The firmware download from the Olympus server is also deliciously slow! Lost of people think the updater dangles around or crashed.

11. ibcj

ibcj Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    I find it ridiculous that Olympus updates their firmware in this method. It just adds a couple more things that can cause it to fail, ie - the computer shuts down/experiences and issue or something happens with the usb cable. It makes much more sense to me to just do firmware updates from the sd card, as their is less of a chance to brick the camera.

12. ageha

ageha Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    Yup, I prefer the way Panasonic does it too.

13. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    It's time to send the camera into the Oly repair center. This was always an issue with their 4/3rds line of bodies. I see nothing with them has changed. Sorry.