E-PM1 awful battery life

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chipbutty, Jun 18, 2013.

1. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2012
    Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
    I got my E-PM1 a couple of weeks ago and I love it other than the awful battery performance. But all reviews and user reports indicate the battery life is good, often quoting 500-1000 shots on each battery. Olympus quote 330. My record is 180! I do fiddle around with menus and settings and use the zoom function a lot. I shoot in RAW+Super Fine JPEG setting at max resolution. Whether these factors are impacting battery life I don't know. I have three batteries, one Olympus and two after market brands. All are the same in terms of performance.

Maybe my charge is faulty? Any ideas?
  2. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    AFAIK the tests are performed in a controlled setting shot in .jpg only, and they are just "shooting". They aren't chimping or messing with settings or anything else. Are you measuring your battery life in terms of number of shots only? Does your camera ever go to sleep, or do you turn it off and back on? Change lenses?, etc?
  3. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I've been delighted with the battery life on mine, but then again I tend to have the body cap lens on it, so no autofocus. But even when shooting "normal" lenses it seems to be at least as good as my G3 (albeit not the world's longest-lasting)
  4. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2012
    Yes I'm measuring in terms of shots. I have the camera set to go to sleep, I don't turn it off between shots. I don't change lenses between batteries, maybe once at most. I use it in the same way as my G3 and GF1. I usually get 250 shots from my G3 battery. Maybe this is all I can expect but the battery life is far worse than any camera I've ever used.

5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I think having IS truned on all the time can make a difference too.
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I get good battery life from mine, and IS is ON too ... but I hardly look through the pictures, never zoom then either : I just download the card onto the computer later.
    I even use the VF-2 half the time and it's notorious for using more juice than the LCDs (even if its a myth, who knows?)
    Maybe its all the reviewing you're doing ...
  7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I took one to Asia a couple of years ago and got very good battery life. I constantly am reviewing pictures, so probably not anywhere near 500, but if I left the house with a fresh battery in the morning, I never had to change it (though I had spares if that did become necessary).
  8. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2012
    I have IS turned off. I've ordered a cheap Ex-Pro charger to see if it improves things. If it doesn't then it must be the way I use the camera. As I say it's no different to how I use any other camera and I always achieve the average reputed battery shot count. I'm tempted to buy a larger capacity battery from a reputable brand. Polaroid do a 1400mah BLS1.
  9. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    I suspect turning it off between shots might help. My G1 goes through batteries much quicker when the kids are carrying it. I turn it off, they tend to forget.
    At least carrying a spare battery should help minimise the inconvenience.
  10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    It takes 4-5 disharge/charge cycles to get full capacity out of the battery.