1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PM1: assign AEL and smaller focus area — possible?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Allan Crowson, Jan 2, 2012.

1. I recently traded the E-PL1 for the E-PM1 (long story, details upon request).

I am generally satisfied, especially with the faster focus. However, there is one item that has me puzzled/unsatisfied.

On the E-PL1, I had things configured so that I could hit the "magnifying glass/Fn" button to bring up a smaller focus box for more precise focusing. I would use this with AEL, which was assigned to the movie one-touch button.

It appears that this may not be possible on the E-PM1. There are three configurable buttons. The down and right positions of the dial are two of them. Neither of them seems to be able to accept the assignment of a smaller focus box or of AEL. Those functions both seem to be assignable only to the one-touch movie button. This means that I can have one-touch access only to one of them, but not both. In addition, the magnified view that can be called up in this way does not seem to be the same thing as what existed on the E-PL1.

I would appreciate correction ("Yes, it can be done!") or confirmation ("No, it can't be done!"). If it cannot currently be done, I would welcome suggestions of alternatives for how to obtain a more precise focusing area, and use AEL.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I found the answer

Sorry to respond to my own thread, but I discovered the answer, and thought I'd post it in case some other poor soul ever needs to know it.

In short, it is almost possible with the E-PM1. The solution is to activate/engage Zoom as a view selectable via the Info button (Gear D / Info Settings / LV Info / Zoom ). That makes it easy enough to choose the reduced focusing area by clicking the Info button. Of course, you'll have to cycle through any other LV Info options that you have activated.

Then of course, I can assign AEL/AFL to the movie red button.

I would rather be able to have a separate button rather than cycle through views, but at least I can achieve pretty much the same functionality in this way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. smarikoe

smarikoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for this! I too was wondering whether this was possible :smile:

4. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    That's a good idea - I was stumped by this. Thank you!

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I also tried S-MF, then when I'd rotate a native lens, it would go into AF assist mode. Then I'd turn the control ring to shrink down to 14X. I'm just not sure if it preserves the 14X after power off/power on cycle.