1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 and Shooting without Lens option

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pjjohnson, Jan 31, 2012.

1. pjjohnson

pjjohnson Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    Hello everyone,

I keep seeing on here and on other sites using "Shoot without Lens" setting when fitting non-native/3rd party adapters and lenses.

I have an Olympus PEN E-PM1, where is this setting?? Been through the manual and did a search here but couldn't find an answer. Am I missing something?

I'd like to get a Canon FD adapter, although none I've found say they are compatible with the E-PM1 I assume that ANY M43 adapter/lens will be as the E-PM1 is M43.

Chances are I'm being really stupid ...

Cheers,

Peter.

2. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    Any Micro Four Thirds adaptor will be compatible with the E-PM1, and you don't really need to select the without lens option. Aperture priority is probably best for adapted lenses.

3. Shoot w/o lens is a menu option only found on Panasonic cameras.

4. pjjohnson

pjjohnson Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    Thank you guys. It seemed a really stupid thing to ask, I do hope it hasn't been asked *TOO* many times!

There are some really cheap Chinese-made Canon FD adapters on eBay UK. Are there any you'd recommend? Makes/brands/types etc?

Thank you!

Peter.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    To be more specific... the Shoot Without Lens option is only necessary on Panasonic cameras. Olympus cameras allow it at any time without having to go through the extra step.

Two of the common eBay sources in the US are Fotodiox and RainbowImaging. They're cheap but with pretty consistent quality. For a Canadian like myself, the US is the closest I can get. I don't know about UK sources... I wouldn't order directly from Hong Kong from where I am, as shipping is atrocious.

6. pjjohnson

pjjohnson Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    Thanks Ned. In the end I ordered from BV & Jo on Amazon:

Canon FD FL Lens to Micro 4/3 M M43 M4: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

My Dad has a box-load of old Canon FD lenses which he was about to chuck out so I immediately pounced and ordered an adapter straight away. He's got a nice Canon FD 50mm F/3.5 Macro which I definitely want to try!!

Cheers

Peter.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Oooh, I just love it when you have a whole bunch of lenses ready to use! Waiting for that adapter can be hard, though.

I had at one point considered buying a whole crapload of adapters so I would have them all and sell them to Canadians because none of us can get them without ordering in. But then Vistek finally manned up and started stocking Micro Four-Thirds and Four-Thirds adapters to Canada (albeit at a high cost).

8. pjjohnson

pjjohnson Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    It's fantastic and I want it to arrive tomorrow!!! I don't know why I never tried to get an adapter before. I normally shoot with Sony Alphas and adapters must exist for them also... Speaking of which is there an adapter to go from A-Mount to M43?? Anyone got one?

I don't think we have too many problems with getting stuff here in the UK, importing from China and the Far East isn't too bad although it is always a bit hit and miss (never order anything if you need it in less and a month is my experience).

9. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The reason that m4/3 cameras have so many adapters is because they have a small register distance (mount to sensor distance). Your Sony alpha doesn't really have any adapters to use other lenses on it, because its register distance is as long as other SLRs. For a mount to work correctly on your Sony, it would need to have a negative lens element to retain infinity focus, which highly degrades the image. So, no adapters, must not necessarily exist for Sony Alphas. The most used digital cameras for old film-mount lenses are:
    -Olympus and Panasonic m4/3
    -Sony NEX, E-mount
    -Samsung NX

Also, while Sony alpha lenses have an adapter to allow their use on m4/3 cameras, you need to make sure to get a good quality one, because it needs to be able to adjust aperture, since most of your lenses likely don't have aperture rings. However, seeing as you have a digital camera body that autofocuses and auto-stopdowns those lenses already, buying an adapter to use them on your Olympus is a rather pointless endeavor. The beauty of adapted lenses is that it gives new digital life to old, dead film mounts like Canon FD, Minolta Rokkor, Konica Hexanon, etc. that already didn't have autofocus, and were designed to be used manually. In addition, chances are that your lenses aren't worth adapting, unless you have some of the higher end primes.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Four-Thirds mount will also mount just about any SLR format from Canon to Nikon to OM to Minolta to Pentax. Konica AR requires the removal of the AE tab though (no modifications required for Micro Four-Thirds), and Minolta MD/MC requires a hex key since the adapter is too thin for a regular bayonet lock (again, this is not necessary for Micro Four-Thirds). Four-Thirds is the shortest for SLRs, but Micro Four-Thirds is shorter than rangefinder, cine, and Pen F lens mounts. Sony NEX is actually shorter than Micro Four-Thirds, but Olympus has a much longer history of being adaptable to legacy lenses (from both Four-Thirds to Micro Four-Thirds), and as such has already cornered that market.

On the lens end it works the other way... the longer the register the more cameras you can adapt it to. Ironically, Olympus OM had one of the longest registers (it had a shutter speed ring on the lens mount, so this is not surprising), so the Olympus OM lenses were the most adaptable to other bodies, just like the Four-Thirds bodies are most adaptable to other lenses.

Nikon F is also one of the longest SLR mounts, like OM. Nikon however, never changed their mount so that even their modern DSLR bodies can mount their old legacy lenses. However, that also means that a Nikon DSLR body cannot be mounted with lenses from other systems.

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well, that's mostly-true :) There are Nikon lenses called pre-Ai or non-Ai that can't be mounted on the more modern SLRs without breaking the aperture-adjustment tab on the camera. Most of my Nikon manual focus lenses are like this. You can modify them by dremeling out part of the lens, but this isn't for me. I'd just as soon sell my lenses and buy the Ai versions, considering the hassle (I'd be open to using any new-old-stock conversion kits though). Plus, while Nikon Ai and Ais lenses mount on every Nikon camera, they don't meter on any body south of the D7000, which means none of the more portable, consumer-grade bodies will meter. This is fine for studio work, but it's the main reason that I traded in my travel camera Nikon D90 for a Panasonic G2. When I want more serious capability, I still have my D200.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, and this is exactly why I only adapt Konica AR lenses directly to Micro Four-Thirds, even though all my other SLR lenses are to Four-Thirds. I'm not big on modifying lenses and breaking those pesky Auto tabs either...

13. By shear weight of numbers I think that Canon EOS (enormous mount diameter, lowish register distance) would also feature quite high in this list, and along with Four Thirds are ironically a better DSLR option for adapting old Nikon lenses than modern Nikon bodies. OMs and M42s are an easy fit as well.

14. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well, if you have a metering-capable Nikon SLR and an Ai-version lens, or are willing to do the Ai conversion, Nikon SLRs still auto-stopdown the lens. Plus, they have a feature where-in you can manually input which lens you're using. With my Tamron 180mm f/2.5 for example, my D200's EXIF records that the photo was taken with a 180mm f/2.5 lens. So, it's a give and take, depending on which version you have, and which features are more important to you. For Olympus OM lenses however, the 5D Mk II is a BEAST with them.

15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    To be fair, you're talking about pre-1977 lenses that haven't been converted. Given the absolutely huge number of used AI and AI-S and AI-converted lenses, it's not exactly a major bonus. Heck, for $20, you can get kits to convert pre-AI lenses yourself.

DH

16. pjjohnson

pjjohnson Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    Thanks. I was just thinking that I've got Minolta 28mm and 50mm, Sigma 10-20mm APO and Sigma 100-300mm APO amongst others that I could maybe use when I'm doing dedicated work with my main lenses.

Shnitz - I appreciate and understand what you're saying, it was just a question, that's all.

I now have my shiny new Canon FD to M43 adapter with Canon 50mm F/3.5 macro on. It's absolutely awesome and I can't wait to try some of the other lenses I've "inherited".

Thanks again everyone for all your help!

Peter.

17. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Peter, your Minolta lenses are easy to adapt to m-4/3 with $23 (US) adapters from Fotodiox or Rainbow Imaging. And they perform really well on m-4/3 bodies. Here's a link to one on Amazon...

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Minolta MD, MC, Rokkor Lens to MFT Micro 4/3 Four Thirds System Camera Mount Adapter, for Olympus Pen E-PL1, E-P2, Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1, G2, GH2, GF1, GH1 G10: Camera & Photo

But click one of the Amazon links on this site (under the "Affiliate Partners" tab at top of page) before you buy it so the site will get the commission.

18. pjjohnson

pjjohnson Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    Thanks Bob, just what I was looking for! I shall look to order one so I can use my old Minolta glass.

19. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Whoa, wait up. You said that what you had was alpha lenses. If they mount on your Sony, then that adapter will not work. That adapter is for older, Minolta Rokkor MD and MC lenses. Minolta, like many companies, changed its mount when it developed autofocus.

20. pjjohnson

pjjohnson Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    Thanks Shnitz!! Sorry I may be the one confused, I will double check as I think some is and some isn't. Otherwise will stick to just mounting them on my Alphas. Not to worry, apologies for any mistake!