1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 and shadow noise.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DeoreDX, Apr 12, 2013.

1. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    One thing I've noticed with the E-PM1 is that it seems like it has a lot of noise in the shadows. It almost looks like I pushed the shadows in post processing. Most of the noise seems to be concentrated in the red channel.

Here is an OOC jpeg. Notice how noisy the black areas are. This shot was taken @ ISO200 1/3s F8.0

P4100778.JPG

Same image where I played with the contrast and brightness to crush the black levels back down and the image looks much batter. Not sure if this is the best way to go about getting rid of the noise but for this particular image it worked really well.

Nickle.JPG

Is this something that I am just going to have to take care of in post? Will adjusting the tone curve reduce my shadow noise?

2. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    BTW when I look at the image in my LED back lit LCD the noise just jumps out at me but when I look at it on my really old ~7yo LCD I can't really see the noise... maybe I just need to stop using the newer LED backlit LCD :)

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    The older PEN sensor had a ton of read noise so even at base ISO, shadows were pretty noisy. If you look at the RAW, much of it is chrominance noise which can be handled with noise reduction. Some is luminance noise and in many cases, reducing luminance noise reduce fine details.

4. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.