1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 and inconsistent IBIS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Art, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I saw there is a thread on DPR regarding unreliable performance of E-PM1's IBIS.
    I noticed that I have similar issues with mine. I find it completely inconsistent and unreliable with Oly 45mm lens. It seems to be better with IBIS off. At 1/40s with IBIS on, I am lucky if I can get 5 out of 10 sharp which is no better than IBIS off. With E-PL2 and Oly 45mm I get 10 out 10 sharp at both 1/20s and 1/40s. No such problems with Panny 20mm though (but Panny 14mm again is trouble). Anyone else noticed these issues?

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I sure hope I don't get this issue, because I was planning to leave the Oly 45 on my E-PM1. I thought it would be a great body for informal portraits since it is so small and unassuming.

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    That was my plan too and still is but for daylight only. I wonder if it's a firmware issue.

4. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I've only used the 20/1.7 and haven't noticed a problem. Maybe I should try with the kit lens, how did you test it?

The thing I did notice is that the EPM1 doesn't handle the shutter clap well, I feel like I move it a lot more than my EPL2 after hitting the shutter.

5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Panny 20 and the kit zoom seem to work ok. I am having issues w/Panny 14 and especially Oly 45.
    You can just take 10 shots focusing on a paper with some fine print with and w/o IBIS

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Just a thought -- I wonder if the lenses and the bodies aren't reporting on the proper focal length for the IBIS.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    My E-PM1 IBIS seems to work well with the Pana 14, 20, and the kit lens.

8. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Ah... perhaps because it's the entirely new shutter (and thus IBIS assembly attached to that) in the new E-PM1 and E-PL3s... Maybe Oly has to iron out the kinks in it?

I would suggest turning anti-shock on and setting it to 1/8 second...

9. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I just want to let you know, I purchased my EPM1 from Ritz Camera via Amazon with the idea of clicking your link on Amazon so you could get credit for my purchase, however I got in a hurry and neglected to hit your link.. and just wanted you to know that next time that won't happen.. just FYI.. sorry about that..
    Doug

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    No biggie. Thanks for the consideration.

11. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Outrageous! Ban him for life ;)

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    What does the anti-shock do, and how does it help in this situation?

13. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    What about at faster exposures?

Can you turn IBIS off in the Mini and if so, do you still get off focus photos?

14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    And take his gear from him and give it to someone more worthy! :smile: That seems to be the theme floating around nowadays anyway! :rolleyes:

15. Agent_K64

Agent_K64 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    I was going to post a thread about this. D: I too am unsure if IBIS in my E-PM1 is working properly. I only have the kit lens to test with, but I've got no clue how to test this reliably. :(
    At first I thought it was just me moving the camera, but I don't think my old Canon PowerShot SD1300 compact gave me blurry pictures like that. Or maybe it has an entirely different system so it's a bad comparison in the first place.

Any tips for how I should test the IBIS?

16. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Buried in the menus is an option to turn off IBIS.

Take a couple of pictures with and without IBIS and see which looks sharper - hand-held 'shakes' will be more apparent at slower shutter speeds and/or longer focal lengths.

17. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    It's not buried in the menu. Enable SCP and it takes two clicks to turn it off

18. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    What he should of said is: No Big Deal.. if it happens again.. you are OUTTA here and banned for life.. :smile:

19. Agent_K64

Agent_K64 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    No need for SCP, even. Just press OK and it'll be in small side-menu. Unless I'm shooting in the wrong mode.. to be honest, I don't know what I'm doing as I just got the camera and I never owned a real camera before. :(

On DPR, I came across this post:
    I don't really understand the math involved here. What focal length should I be testing at (14-42mm) and at what shutter speed?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Theoretically, up to 3 stops improvement. Typically, safe shutter speeds (no IS needed) are calculated as 1/FL (in 35mm eq. terms). If you zoom in to 42mm with your kit zoom, the safe shutter speed would be 1/84s. Each stop reduces shutter speed in half. If you are to take advantage of this claimed 3-stop improvement, you should be able to get steady shots at about 1/10s at 42mm. I was able to achieve 10 out of 10 shots without blur under those conditions. Anything faster than 1/10s was a mixed bag even at shorter FL.
    Safe shutter speed and IBIS effectiveness will vary from person to person depending on how steady you hold the camera. I’ve tested all my lenses to understand my limits. E.g., with Oly 14-150 set at 150mm, IBIS is far less effective. I am barely getting 2-stop improvement and usually feel more comfortable with 1-stop (1/150s minimum shutter speed) to be sure.
    The way I test IBIS is I take 10 shots focusing on a paper with some fine print (like credit card statements). That way is very easy to see if I get the blur.

• Like Like x 2