1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PM1 and Adapted lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dixeyk, Jan 31, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have been playing around with using the E-PM1 with adapted lenses (hence the clever thread title :eek:) and so far I have pretty happy with how it has been working. Originally I was concerned that such a small camera would not feel right with an adapted lens plus adapter attached to it. Turns out it gives me a better spot to hold it steady. The Konica 40+adapter is still quite compact but right now I am finding mt Super Takumar 50/1.4 and Konica 35/2.8 are my favorites (although I have an Industar 61L/D and Helios 44M on the way so we'll see if that changes).

I don't suppose it needs mentioning but I find an EVF a must for using the E-PM1 with legacy glass.

Super Takumar 50/1.4
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/6792661543/" title="Soup of the Day by dixeyk, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="Soup of the Day"></a>

Konica 35/2.8
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/6792662255/" title="Pre-Spring by dixeyk, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="Pre-Spring"></a>

2. Hyun

Hyun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    California
    Nice pictures. I've been enjoying legacy glass with my E-PM1, particularly because they are available so cheaply (thank you, KEH!). And I'm sure my eyes would greatly appreciate having an EVF, but I'm making do with peering at the LCD... :)

So far I've been using Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX (well, not legacy, since I use it all the time on my Nikons), and Canon FD 50mm f/1.4. Veerrry nice.

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yeah, that Canon is a VERY sharp lens...Do you have some pictures? I'd love to see some stuff. I'm not familiar with Nikkors...isn't that DX lens AF? I assume you use it MF on the E-PM1 right?

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    That Nikkor doesn't have an aperture ring though, right? Do you have to shoot it wide open adapted?

5. Hyun

Hyun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    California
    This Fotodiox adapter:

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Nikon G-type lens to MFT Micro 4/3 four thirds cameras, Olympus Pen E-PL1, E-P2, E-P1, E-PL2, Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1, G2, GH2, GF1, GH1 G10: Camera & Photo

... lets you adjust the aperture ring manually on the DX lens. Yes, the 35mm f/1.8 G DX lens is a current AF lens. MF only with the $25 adapter linked above.

Here are some pictures. The first three are with the Nikkor 35mm lens, and the last three with the FD 50mm f/1.4 (with a $21 RainbowImaging FD to m43 adapter). I should note, that until I got the E-PM1 two weeks ago, I had never shot anything MF. So my MF techniques need a lot of help... :)

Attached Files:

6. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    My daughter has been using the Pentax 50 1.4 on her EPM1 more lately. She complains that its heavy but she likes the way the pictures come out. She's also learned how to focus by using the record button to magnify, but she doesn't have the viewfinder. Dad won't spend the money.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Magnify with the LCD is certainly not a bad way to go. :) VF-2 is better of course, but the other way still works especially with the relatively high resolution LCDs on the newer PENs. I remember having to do it this way with the E-P1 which had half the LCD resolution and no option of EVF.

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I find that using the LCD to manually focus works well enough. The Olympus LCD shimmer is pretty visible and the three levels of magnification on focus assist is pretty cool. 50mm lenses and under seem to for best. I don't think I could use LCD magnification on my Konica 135.

That said, the VF2 is great. I have never seen the VF3. Anyone have one that can say what it's like compared to the VF2.

9. rich00

rich00 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    I've got the vf-3 and it works quite well. I was finding when using the LCD I was just missing the focus when using adapted lenses. The only problem with vf-3 is that diopter dial can be bumped quite easily, this makes difference if you use glasses or contacts. To get around this a bit of tap over the dial can stop it from being moved out of place.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I find the diopter on the VF-2 to be very easy to put out of place as well. But then, I don't think I've ever had a camera where it wasn't...