1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PM vs E-PL

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Superstriker#8, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    I'm looking to get either of these combinations, refurb from cameta for the cameras, and olympus for the vfs
    Which would be better for street and legacy lenses: E-PM1 and VF2, or E-PL3 and VF3?

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They basically have the same sensor and the main differentiator between the two selections you specified is VF2 vs VF3. I would go with the VF2 because it has better resolution which is going to make a difference with legacy cameras. The E-PL3 is going to have better handling and a tilt rear LCD.

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Is the E-PL3 + VF2 an option? As usayit said it :wink:, the VF2 works better with legacy lenses because of the better resolution, and the tilt screen of the E-PL3 comes in handy for street, allowing you to take your shots at different angles...

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    It's completely true: The VF2 is the better viewfinder and would be much better with manual focus/legacy lenses. But, do you know what? I like the VF3 better on the small Pens. Of course, I generally use auto focus. I think, for your purposes, the E-PL3 with the VF2 would be the best way to go for street work.

5. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    Wow, a general consensus for once!
    The pl3 + vf2 is an option, I guess; are the couple extra buttons on the pl3 configurable? That would pretty much make up my mind, if cameta would get the e-pl3 in stock.

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    A little counterpoint.

EPL3 bodies are $199-219 on cameta.com except they are out of stock. You just missed the sale on reconditioned EPL5's at getolympus.com for $379 with the 14-42. Now you have to pay $359 for an EPL5 body, but they are in stock.

I would go with the reconditioned EPL5 which will be only a few bucks more than an EPL3 with VF2. Better sensor. Tilting touch screen ought to be nice for street photo. Get the EVF later. I haven't tried the key line art filter focus trick on an EPL5, but it does work on the EM5 for legacy lenses after you get the hang of it, so it should work on the EPL5.

If cost is paramount, EPM1 and VF3. I used that for legacy lenses. No problem focusing for me, although yes, the VF2 is better resolution.