E-PLI and E-PL2 Batteries Interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave Jenkins, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

I just got an E-PL2 and noticed that the battery is slightly different from my E-PL1. Are they interchangeable?

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The E-PL2 (and all subsequent PENs) use the BLS-5, but the BLS-1 from the E-PL1 (and the E-P1 & 2 before it) will work in any of the later models. I'm not certain that the reverse is true, i.e. if the BLS-5 will work in the E-P1/2/L1, but I bet that someone here has tried it.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You can interchange them in cameras, but not in the chargers! There were new regulations for chargers in Japan, and the BLS-1 was changed into the BLS-5, with two additional contacts.

If you buy batteries made in other countries they may still have three contacts, or even two contacts...but they may not have the safety features of the OEM battery.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I use both BLS-1 abd -5 batteries in my EPM2 and they charge fine in the OEM charger for BLS-5 as well as my aftermarket charger.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My E-PM1 bodies actually came with the BLS-1! :wink:

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Then I stand corrected. I was going by the camera specs as reported on DPReview. I guess the switchover may have occurred some time after the E-PM1 was released.

8. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Yes there must have been a change after the launch of the EPM1/EPL3 as we bought two EPL3's in the same week from two different vendors. One had the "1" battery/charger and one the "5" but the contacts in the cameras are identical.

I'm led to believe the extra contacts are just to turn the charger fully "off" (rather than just reduce to a trickle charge) after charging to comply with the new legislation.