E-PL8, LX10 info leaked.. [43rumors, FT5]

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Okay Panasonic, now expand your LX line. LX10 is a smaller sensor like the LX7 and previous models, LX100/LX200 could continue in a larger form factor with larger sensor, and please oh please release a single focal length fixed lens version with a flat form factor!
When the zoom is f1.4-2.8, what's the benefit of a prime lens? Marginally better corner sharpness?

LX7 had a similar aperture as the LX10, but a 1/1.8" sensor. That's about 1/4 the size of a 1" sensor. So if they've managed to keep it similar size to the old LX5/7, that will be phenomenal.

Nathanael

Mu-43 Veteran
When the zoom is f1.4-2.8, what's the benefit of a prime lens? Marginally better corner sharpness?

LX7 had a similar aperture as the LX10, but a 1/1.8" sensor. That's about 1/4 the size of a 1" sensor. So if they've managed to keep it similar size to the old LX5/7, that will be phenomenal.
I think the implication is that the fixed/prime lens would be coupled with a larger sensor. X100T style.

Of course it's still up for debate (depending on lens quality, personal preference, etc) if a f2 (or whatever) fixed lens on a m43 sensor is significantly "better" than a f1.4 zoom on 1".

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
My position is, put a 20mm f1.7 onto a fixed body, recessed (which might allow them more space for more modern focusing) and manual dials. I'd eat that up.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Of course it's still up for debate (depending on lens quality, personal preference, etc) if a f2 (or whatever) fixed lens on a m43 sensor is significantly "better" than a f1.4 zoom on 1".
It really comes down to the lens. Purely based on size, the m4/3 sensor should have a 1-stop advantage over the 1" sensor, exactly equalling the difference between an f/1.4 and an f/2.0 lens, but as we've seen, the technology in the 1" sensor is generally newer, and so it tends to overperform relative to its size-difference. If the lenses are comparable, the 1" sensor will have an advantage, as it will have less noise and better DR, at equivalent aperture/ISO.

grog

Mu-43 Rookie
With all the 1" options out there now I wish Olympus would come out with their own 1" sensor camera, possibly a successor to the Stylus 1.

Nathanael

Mu-43 Veteran
With all the 1" options out there now I wish Olympus would come out with their own 1" sensor camera, possibly a successor to the Stylus 1.
.. that's exactly what this rumor claims Olympus is doing.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I don't get the E-PL8. I mean, yes, it looks different. But with seemingly no changes to functionality, who is going to get one vs. the older (and cheaper) E-PL7?
Well, I am. GM1 has its weaknesses (horrible blackout when shooting bursts, 1/500s mech.shutter limit, no flash, etc. etc.) and I'm ready to return to Olympus' offerings BUT... E-PL7 is too big for the intended use. It seems E-PL8 is between GM1 and E-PL7 sizewise which sounds good to me since I sometimes feel the GM1 is too small.

So yeah, I'm ready to pay more to get E-PL7 in a smaller form. :redface: :coco:

BAKatz

Mu-43 Veteran
(FT5) Full Olympus E-PL8, FL-900R and Panasonic LX10 specs! - 43 Rumors

16MP, 3 axis IBIS for the E-PL8... Not sure what is different than the EPL7. Admittedly the EM10 (basically the same) is still selling super well right now on Amazon, but that's at $399 with kit lens. Wonder what price point they're aiming for with this release.

Well now maybe Oly will put up the 7 with two lenses for $299. For months the've been offering the 6 with 2 lenses at that price, problem is, they don't have any 6's in stock. I asked if they would substitute the 7 for the 6 but was told no ( rudely I might add ). They even asked me to send them the e-mail they sent me offering the 6 package. I'm assuming we all received the mystery unveiling e-mail this morning. I figured it was about an EPL-8/9, but was hoping for a larger sensor. I guess we'll find out in 2 days

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Well, I am. GM1 has its weaknesses (horrible blackout when shooting bursts, 1/500s mech.shutter limit, no flash, etc. etc.) and I'm ready to return to Olympus' offerings BUT... E-PL7 is too big for the intended use. It seems E-PL8 is between GM1 and E-PL7 sizewise which sounds good to me since I sometimes feel the GM1 is too small.

So yeah, I'm ready to pay more to get E-PL7 in a smaller form. :redface: :coco:
From 43rumours.com:
"E-PL8 body is $649"

Well, I'm NOT paying that much more for a few gramms less... I guess I'll have to wait 6 months for the price to fall (or buy one used). Ridiculous price!

EDIT: Just checked the price for E-PL7 body in Finland and I could get one for 299EUR which is less than half of that $650!!! :wtf:
Insane!

grog

Mu-43 Rookie
Instead of an E-PL7 you can also get an E-P5 which has great specs, and only a few mm bigger than the PL7

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yeah but on a 1" sensor...? Then it blows out to f/2.8 at full stick... :shakehead:

Maybe if it was f/1.2 constant... :hiding:
The LX100 has a 1.7-2.8 on a 2.2x crop sensor, the LX10 has a 1.4-2.8 lens on a 2.8x crop sensor, these cameras will produce very similar images, except the LX10 is way smaller.

Additionally, 1.4-2.8 on 1" is roughly equivalent to F2.0-4.0 on 43rds, so this combo should produce images not far off (slightly less noise and narrower DOF on the wide end, slightly more on the tele end) from a 43 body with one of the 2.8 standard zooms, provided the lens is of good quality. It will almost certainly produce images superior to a 43 body with a ~F4-5.6 kit zoom.

Personally, I tried out the LX100 as a replacement for my RX100 III, but while I loved the controls, the size made it unusable as a real replacement for a pocket style camera. If I'm gonna bring a camera as big as the LX100, I'll just take my EM1.

The LX10 looks nice, but without an EVF I'll probably give it a pass and stick with the RX100. That IBIS is tempting though. The IS in the RX100 is pretty bad, useful for 1-2 stops but not much more, which means in practice my EM1 can often be shot at 2 ISO settings lower for lowlight still life, and give cleaner images with better dynamic range.

Last edited:

kingduct

Mu-43 Veteran
Unlike most of the commentary I've seen, I actually like the looks of the new E-PL8. It's too bad that for enthusiasts such as ourselves, I see little to value in it: I see no way in which anybody would want to upgrade from another m43 body to it.

The only potential for this camera is if it is sold dirt cheap and marketed to new users who want to move up from a cell phone. That group does exist, but with cell phone cameras getting better and better, it is shrinking. I do think it is important to have a product for this group (and I was once a member of it when I went from having a compact camera to an E-PL1), but it'd be nice if it at least matched the E-M10 in terms of specs (besides lack of an EVF).

And for those who say, "these people should just get a compact camera," the low-end m4/3 offerings such as the E-PLs and E-PMs have often been much cheaper than the high-end compact cameras. There is a case for snapshooting with m4/3 and I'm not snobbish about it.

fader

Mu-43 Top Veteran
the LX7 was my first digital camera. I miss that thing real bad - a pocket-able weapon for landscape shots. I'm excited to get the full rundown on the LX10.

BAKatz

Mu-43 Veteran
I still have my EPL1. I have been keeping costs down by utilizing Minolta lenses and adapter. Just bought a 300mm for <$20. No AF but who cares ? It's still better ( for me ) than switching to Canon or Nikon full size. I think

grog

Mu-43 Rookie
A hot shoe for the LX10 would have been a great addition for those that might want to add an EVF later on. I guess in the race to be as compact as possible they had to ditch that option as well.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
If the size is the only improvement over the EPL7 then I'm scratching my head. :hmmm: With the lens attached it still won't be pocketable and it's not so much small that it will make any different in the hand or bag. Especially since it's $250 more than the E-PL7.

Last edited:

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
It would be nice if Oly could produce a lens as small as the Panasonic 12-32mm for kitting with their mini camera bodies - we'd have more choices in that area. As I see it now, you'd need to buy the 12-32mm if you wanted a walk-around zoom that really fit the EPL8.

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It would be nice if Oly could produce a lens as small as the Panasonic 12-32mm for kitting with their mini camera bodies - we'd have more choices in that area. As I see it now, you'd need to buy the 12-32mm if you wanted a walk-around zoom that really fit the EPL8.
Olympus makes the 14-42mm EZ that is the same size as the 12-32mm

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

tkbslc

Super Moderator
A hot shoe for the LX10 would have been a great addition for those that might want to add an EVF later on. I guess in the race to be as compact as possible they had to ditch that option as well.
I'm hoping the pop up flash can wireless ettl with my Panasonic flash.

Johnny The Greek

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't get the E-PL8. I mean, yes, it looks different. But with seemingly no changes to functionality, who is going to get one vs. the older (and cheaper) E-PL7?
I think that's the main point--I would still rather get an E-M10 at that price point.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom