E-PL7 vs E-M10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by doogie, Aug 9, 2016.

1. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    I assume these are essentially the same camera?

I have an E-PL7, and a VF4 which I use occasionally. I like the idea of not having to carry a seperate flash and EVF.

Thinking of swapping over to an E-M10 Mk1, funds won't stretch to a Mk2.

Any other benefits apart from the flash and EVF?
  2. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    The second control dial is the biggest addition for me, moreso than the EVF. There's the grip option on the E-M10 which works well for larger lenses. On the other hand, the E-PL7 has the screen that swivels in both directions. Other than that they are basically the same camera.

I own both and think it's worth keeping the E-PL7 if you can. It's the smallest camera I've owned with usable IBIS and pairs a bit better with the small primes.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    I've got Olympys 25mm and 45mm primes, plus two standard Panasonic Zooms.

Thanks for the feedback I may pickup an E-M10 and then decide which one to keep.
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    If you keep both you can mount two primes and switch cameras out of your bag. A zoom could do this but for some reason I prefer this instead.
  5. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    To add to what @cptobvious@cptobvious wrote, i think the e-pl7 has a 24p video mode which the e-m10 doesn't. To me, e-pl7 is great but i am also looking to trade due to evf, second control wheel, and (the biggest reason) the possibility to add an external grip. With medium to larger lenses, it's a hassle. Also, shooting for longer than 30minutes, even my girlish hands start to cramp.
  6. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    The Fotodiox grip for the em10 is excellent in my opinion. And cheaper than the Oly one.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    I had the same decision to make upgrade to the E-PL7 or the M10 (not the II). I took the advice of many who said M10.
    Amazing camera, glad I chose it. The extra dial on top, makes adjustments really fast and easy. The viewfinder works great and doesn't seem much higher
    than the E-PL5 I had without the VF2 in place. The attached pop-up flash comes in handy when you need it in a pinch. The camera still feels pretty small
    and still portable. And most important it takes better pictures than my E-PL5 did.
  8. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    I have both the EPL-7 and the M10 and find myself using the EPL-7 most of the time. Why? It fits my hands better and I hate the location of the on/off switch on the OM10.
    The built-in EVF is useful, but to be honest, I have not had much problem focusing in bright light with the EPL-7 since I can tilt the LCD to avoid glare. My suggestion would be to purchase the newer OM10ii if funds permit as the updates I think would be worth it.
  9. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    The VF4 is so good it's a difficult decision.

I'm not convinced the E-PL7 has 24p, it's mentioned in the specs but not the manual.

Olympus are known to make mistakes, apparently the E-PL6 had 3-axis IBIS which wasn't true.

The EM10 would be cheaper than the EPL7 and VF4.
  10. TVAkevin

TVAkevin Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Winfield, IL
    I'm curious about this, too. Can anyone either confirm or deny that the E-PL7 has a 24p mode?

Source on this?
  11. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
  12. TVAkevin

TVAkevin Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Winfield, IL
    Well... I can say first hand that there is a HUGE difference in the IBIS between the E-PL6 and E-PL7. I just got the E-PL7 and it handles much, much better. After doing some reading, it seems that though the E-PL6 does have IBIS, it's likely 2 axis, not 3, as they somehow advertise.

More info in this thread. Sorry if this is common knowledge. I wasn't aware as a E-PL6 owner. For anyone considering the E-PL6 over the E-PL7, they should know there's a major improvement to IBIS in the E-PL7.
  13. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 2, 2013
    I had a E-PL5 before I got my E-M5 Mkii. Sold the VF-4 but kept the PL-5 as it is good sometimes to carry a camera which does not look like an SLR.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Mu-43 app
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Yes the extra top dial is much easier to use.

I now have a brand new E-PL7 in black, which I prefer to my silver one. Also I think the black VF4 looks much better on the black body.

I've even warmed to the 14-42mm PZ lens which I might keep, handy not having to unlock the lens

I'm not in a rush to get an E-M10 yet.
    • Like Like x 1