E-PL7: problems when chaning lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by prophet, Nov 22, 2014.

1. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I have an E-PL7, with the kit lens and the Oly 40-150. Today, when I changed from one lens to the other, the screen only showed black, like the lens was not recognized. I took the lens off and on again, and it worked. Chaging back to the other lens, and the same problem, only I had to take the lens off and on several times before it worked.
    Any idea what the problem might be?

2. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    are you pushing the lens release button when you are attaching the lens again?

if so the lens may move to far and the connections will not align.

3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Just turn the lens a little, possibly back, maybe a little further - as has been indicated, the contacts may be misaligned. It happens - on some cameras more often than on others (e.g. on the E-M10 more often than on the E-PM1). But as long as there's nothing broken (which would be hard to do anyway), it should be fixable instantly.

M.

4. kirschm

kirschm Mu-43 Regular

May 4, 2014
    Germany
    I assume you only change lenses while the cam is switched off?

5. LILIAKU

LILIAKU New to Mu-43

Sep 1, 2013
    Transylvania
    It happened to me too a few times with the kit lens, one time it was very embarrassing while changing from the 45 1.8 to the 14-42 before taking a large group photo and ended up taking the pic with my phone :p, anyway it was funny as everyone was too drunk to care.
    Maybe the poor construction and maybe that plastic connector of the back of the lens is to blame.

6. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    yes.

7. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    This could be caused by dirty contacts on the lens or the camera. Wipe with a clean dry cloth. Also could be caused by the lens not seating all the way. Sometimes if you aren't careful you could have the lens almost all the way seated but not quite.

8. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    cprevost: While you are generally right, this is a brand new camera, so should this be the case, it'd be something I'd use the warranty for ...

M.