1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PL7: Focus problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by prophet, Jun 13, 2015.

1. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    My E-PL7 is about 9 months old, and so far has brought nothing but joy to me. I was recently in the UK for a week and shot extensively. At the end I noticed that there seemed to be a focus problem:
    I normally use the touch screen to focus and shoot. While shooting at Brighton Pier at blue hour, some images turned out unsharp, although there should have been enough contrast to focus. I focussed manually then, but had the same problem during the 2 following shoots. I tip an area, but the image is not sharp.

Any ideas what might cause this behaviour? I will be in Australia for 5 weeks in August, and I am worried the camera would not work properly there, which would be desaster for me.

2. sootyvrs

sootyvrs Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2015
    David
    Did this happen with just one lens or several different lenses?

If more than one, then perhaps there is a fault with E-PL7... if a single lens is at fault and others focus fine, then perhaps more tests are required to see if it's the lens at fault?

Fortunately if it's the E-PL7 it will still be covered under warranty... Good luck

3. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Just tried with a second lens, same problem.

4. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    If you accidentally tipped the area that's used to switch monitor modes, you might have turned off touch focus/release - it's only one touch away. Look at the left border region for the green shutter button icon - if it isn't there (and there's a white icon instead), that's what happened.

M.

5. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    No, focus/release is on, had already checked that.

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Same thing also with standard AF boxes? Are you using AF-S? Is micro blur you see at 100% or something bigger? Which lens? Could be motion blur?
    Also check that shutter release priority is set to focus.

7. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I usually use AF-S+M, but happens also in AF-S Mode. Definitely not motion blur, as I usually use a tripod. When using the autofocus and standard AF boxes, focus seems to be good.

I could not find a menu item on shutter release priority.

I mainly shoot with the OIy 9-18mm, but also happens with the Oly 40-150mm. Any other ideas?

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Menu
    Cogs (make sure cogs is available)
    Release
    Release-Priority-S
    But I'm more inclined to believe this is just what the camera does sometimes : the other night I got it to confirm focus when everything was blurred, I just took another frame. Maybe this camera is a bit too keen on speed rather than reliable focus but I'm not complaining, it is great for my purposes.

9. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    The thing is, this has not happened in the 9 months before, all shots were sharp, so something must have changed.

I found Release Prio, it was already set to focus.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    A quick FIY: I sent the camera to the Olympus Support Service in Germany. Got it back in less than 10 days, something replaced, something repaired, cleaned - and seems as good as new. No costs whatsoever. Great service!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Well, alls well that ends well, at least.