1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL7: auto bracketing

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by prophet, Feb 10, 2015.

1. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I would like to use bracketing on the E-PL7, name taking 5 shots, varying EV by 1 stop every time.

Problem is: if I chose these bracketing settings, I have to press the shutter button for everyone of these 5 shots - which seems stupid to me (or I am doing anything wrong).

Could anyone tell me how to turn this into auto bracketing so the camera takes all 5 shots with one press of the shutter button?

2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Menu > Shooting Menu 2 > HDR > 5f 3.0EV

When I press and hold, I get 5 sequential shots with one press.

3. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    But in this case the exposure difference is more than 1 stop between shots, if I am not mistaken (namely 2 - 3 steps).

4. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    You could set up auto bracketing as you are already doing, then change the drive mode to sequential shooting, either high speed or low speed. The BKT indicator should still be showing on the screen. Now if you keep the shutter button pressed down it should take the number of shots you specified in the bracket settings, starting with the central exposure.

I think using the HDR settings as already suggested does much the same thing, except that as you noted it doesn't give you the same range of options for bracketing.

(This is for the E-M10 but I imagine the E-PL7 works the same way).

5. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Thanks!

I did some more reading on HDR and took part at a photowalk with Trey Ratcliff -- it seems, taking 3 pictures at 0EV, -2 EV and +2EV is totally sufficient, so the HDR setting will do fine - would be great if the timer worked in HDR mode, though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Photophil

Photophil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia area
    I have the E-M1, but the E-PL7 probably works the same way. I wanted bracketing for certain situations (0, +1, -1). I set that up in the menu. Then I turned on sequential shoot high speed. I saved that as a Myset, then assigned that to the iAuto position (which I never use) on the mode dial. Now, when I want bracketed exposures, I just switch to iAuto, press the shutter, and it rips off 3 exposures with one press of the shutter. I assume you could do 5 exposures the same way, but that is probably over kill. Hope that helps.

• Informative Informative x 1