E-PL6 with Flashair III card needs FW 1.2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Smashr, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Smashr

Smashr New to Mu-43

Jul 25, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    Hi, all.

I'm new to this forum, and new to M43.

I just picked up an E-PL6 and was hoping to use it with a Toshiba Flashair III card. Spent at least an hour poking around with network settings on both my iPhone and the camera, to no avail--neither the Toshiba Flashair app or the Olympus wireless app worked right, and the connection was flaky at best.

Here's the secret: It turns out that Flashair III support requires camera FW 1.2, which isn't available on the Olympus USA site. (Their support section for the E-PL6 says no update is available. Also, note broken image link. Go Olympus USA!)

So you have to go to their Japan site to see any mention of FW 1.2. I downloaded the firmware update utility from there.

I just tried this, and it works. The 1.2 firmware update came down without any issues, and now the Flashair III works fine, including with the Olympus camera utility ("Olympus Image Share") on my iPhone. I haven't tried tethering or anything exotic like that; I was just interested in wifi image transfers so I can post my selfies, kitty cat photos and fuzzy pictures of cheeseburgers in badly-lit bistros to my Facebook account while I'm out on the road.

So W00t! The damn thing works now.

I haven't seen any issues with the firmware update, though the camera has only been in my hands for a few hours and I haven't bonded with it yet (gee it sure is small compared to my Pentax K-5II), so if I bricked the thing or somehow made it behave like a Coolpix 4300, so be it; I'll just send it back to B&H with a nasty note.

So call me an early adopter.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Smashr

Smashr New to Mu-43

Jul 25, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    OK. More on this.

Tethering doesn't work unless you have a model with embedded wifi (E-PL7, etc.).

Oh, well. That's fine. The fact that the thing talks to my phone is good enough for me.

3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
  4. Smashr

Smashr New to Mu-43

Jul 25, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    Yep. You'd figure that if they posted the FW on their Japan site that it'd be good to go for other markets.

This was originally slated as a Japan-market-only camera, so support in the US must be kind of an afterthought. Given the price ($299 with 14-42 kit lens at B&H) they must be blowing out inventory here to make more room for the E-PL7.

I have to admit that M43 wasn't really my first choice for mirrorless (I'd love to try Fuji, but I'm still not sure how well xtrans plays with Lightroom), but I couldn't really say no to it at that price. Not so keen on the ergonomics/haptics, but I like the size and the IQ, especially with the Panasonic 20mm/1.7. Other than the ergonomics it's the closest thing I've found to a digital Canonet.