1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-PL6 vs GX1

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by sigamy, Jan 25, 2016.

1. sigamy

sigamy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Sorry for the vague question but how does E-PL6 compare to the GX1? I'm primarily interested in auto-focus speed, low light and in handling/ergonomics.

I want a small second body, my primary cam is GH3.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

GX1 was a more "pro" body, so it should have better ergonomics and handling, especially coming from a GH3. However it has an older gen sensor that isn't quite up to par with the E-PL6. I would expect the GX1 to win against the E-PL6 in everything but image quality and it may be up to a stop behind the E-PL6 in low light.

Have you also considered the GF7 or GM1? Those are really inexpensive these days, especially if you import from Japan, etc. Latest gen Panasonic and very compact.

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd probably opt for the E-PL6. It has a better sensor and tilt screen. Though if you get a GX1 for a good price, a GX1 is a good camera as a backup!

4. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    I never really liked my GX1 when I had one. I really hated the rear thumb dial. It was too small and fiddly. I also found it kind of slow to use. Took great pictures though.

I've never used an EPL6 but I'm pretty into the OMDs.

Have you considered a GM1? Might be worth going to a store and playing around with one of those too.

5. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    I've used MANY m43 cameras and the GX1, for me, has been the worst with shutter shock. I would steer clear from it. I haven't used the EPL6 but I have the EPM2 and while it deosn't exhibit shutter shock (anti shock on at least) I was disappointed with the IBIS which I know it shares with the EPL5. I now have the EPL7 and it's 3-axis is very close to the EM5 5-axis I've had in the past. If you're looking for that form factor I'd sport a bit extra for the epl7 if you could.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Singapore
    Dave
    I've used the E-PL6 as my first camera and loved the image quality that came out of it. The only reason why I upgraded to the E-P5 was because I wanted more dials and the 5 Axis IS.

The IS on the E-PL5/6 just doesn't work. But I couldn't complain about the image quality. :)

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Good question.
    GX1 is undoubtedly better handling, and has a pop-up flash
    but in my opinion the e-pL6 will give you image quality and low-light performance more on a par with your big GH3
    An e-pL7 will be even better in a couple or areas but costlier.

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    While the E-PL6 might have a little better high ISO I think the GX1 might have the same sensor as your GH3. (Gx1 - 2011, GH3 - 2012) I seem to recall reading the GX7 sensor was an upgrade but I can't remember the details. So for post the GX1/GH3 might be a good combo. Handling with menus, Q-Menus, etc would make the transition easy. The E-PL6 would be different, is that a good thing for you?

But I'll second the thought that the GM1 might be a better option. The controls may not be as direct, but it's a nice little camera and could be a convenient option to with the GH3.

9. Touni

Touni Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 19, 2015
    I have GX1 and E-PL5 (same hardware as e-pl6) and I can tell you that there is no significant difference between them in image quality. GX1 is much more comfortable camera, easier to handle, a lot more direct controls and better grip. E-pl5 has a little bit better jpg color, and less than a stop iso difference. While my max iso on gx1 is set at 1600, on e-pl5 is at 2000. Maybe I could get it to 2500. E-pl5 has tilt screen, and that can be useful.

I am not sure if I can put links to another forum, but here is a link to croatian forum where I wrote the differences between them. Forum.hr - Pogledaj jedan post - Mirrorless fotići (MILC, EVIL, DSLM, ...) . You can use google translate and you can see the photo examples.

And about focusing speed. There is no much difference, but when i put my panasonic 25mm 1.7 lens on my gx1, I had a feeling that it focused somewhat faster than on e-pl5. But rest of the lenses, I would said that there is no significant difference.

• Like Like x 1
  10. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    I'll third that the GX1 is a great little camera. I own that and a GH3 and I notice little difference in image quality. I do seem to notice that the GX1 has less dynamic range, can blow out some highlights here and there easier than the GH3. But in terms of low light I notice little difference. I also handle the processing the same with both cameras--which may be a consideration if you're moving often between Panasonic and Olympus files. I'm happy with both cameras at iso800, not thrilled with either by 1600. I'll also second the utility of the built-in flash, particularly as you can hold it back with your finger so that it bounces--good for iso800 bounce-flash shots in a typical domestic-sized space. I recently posted an example on the "share beautiful people" thread.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    No it doesn't.

12. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    GX1 has the same sensor as G3, it's actually a very nice sensor.

The sensor in the GH3 has slightly better noise performance and noticeably better DR and less highlight clipping.

In terms of build quality and controls, GX1 is miles ahead of E-PL6. But E-PL6 has a tilt screen.

13. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    GX1 has worse dynamic range, but much nicer handling, and is a very robust body (but put a screen protector on the screen, since that can delaminate - only problem I've seen or heard about that camera).

The clickable command dial on the rear makes a huge difference, and behaves in practice much more like a camera with dual dedicated command dials that one with only a single dial. Especially the designs like the E-PL6 (also the GM1 and GF7, admittedly) which have the especially unlovable vertically-orientated control wheel. The click-dial is such an improvement that it would be the reason I'd pay a premium for the GM5 over the GM1, not the EVF.

14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Are they both Panasonic sensors? Does that mean Panasonic has had 4/5 different 16mp sensors since 2010? Or has the engine just accounted for some of what seems different?

15. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Panasonic indeed has had quite a few 16MP sensors.

1. 16MP multiformat sensor in the GH2
    2. 16MP 4:3 sensor in the G3, GX1 and GF6 (supposedly derived from the GH2 sensor but simplified)
    3. 16MP sensor in the G5 and G6 which is exactly the same sensor as the GH2, but without the multiformat feature.
    4. 16MP sensor in the GH3 which is probably the same Sony sensor found in the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
    5. 16MP sensor in the GH4 and GX7 (and Olympus OM-D E-M1). It's very similar in terms of noise and DR to the sensor No. 4 but it has much higher noise at really long shutter speeds, that's why the E-M1 is worse than the E-M5 in that respect.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    I thiiink (may be wrong) that #2 and #3 are in fact the exact same sensor, but other than that, I believe you're spot on. Even if #4 doesn't count since it's a Sony sensor, it's still an awful lot of 16MP sensors.

17. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I believe #2 and #3 are two different sensors. #3 has slightly better DR (on par with the GH2) and Panasonic lists it as having 18MP total pixels (16MP effective) which is again the same as the GH2. Sensor #2 is listed as having 16MP both total and effective.

18. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I thought part of that was due to the lack of the low pass filter.

19. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Well I'll be darned, you're right.

That's downright weird, gotta say.

20. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    5 sensors over 5 years with the same effective resolution that you have to get down to the total pixel count to figure out if they are the same or not is weird for sure. With that many versions you would think we have seen more noticeable difference.