1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-pl6 shutter shock

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by a_hit_of_meth, Jul 30, 2015.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Having read a thread or two where this was mentioned, I'm trying to find more info. There's too little on the Pl6 but I know quite a few other Oly's have had SS issues reported.
    I'm looking at this as one of the possible replacements for my e-m5, where SS was one of the primary factors I decided to ditch the camera so I would hate to replace one with another exhibiting the same thing.

There's not even a single review that I can find to show samples. Any help with this would be appreciated.

2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Haven't used one, but my guess would be: It's not any more or less prone to shutter shock than Olympus's other cameras.

I'm pretty confident the EPL6 does not have the 0-sec anti-shock option that Olympus released as a solution to shutter shock. If you're strongly looking to avoid shutter shock issues, I'd look at any EP5-and-later cameras. EPL7, for example, does have the 0-sec option.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The E-PL6 is basically the same cameras the E-PL5. That suffered from shutter shock (I know,I had one!), so I'd be very surprised if the E-PL6 doesn't. However, SS varies a lot with factors such as the lens, the shutter speed, the hand-holding technique and how picky you are with pixel peeping. Having said all that, I got some great shots with my E-PL5.

• Like Like x 1
  4. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks guys. It just so happens I came across an E-Pl6 display model in excellent condition at a store that gets very little traffic with a shutter count of 175 for only 240 usd. It's tempting enough for me that I would be willing to reconsider being 130usd less than the clearance models.

Could you tell me roughly which shutter speeds are affected by the SS on these bodies so maybe I could check for samples online later when I have time. AFAIK the PL6 has a two axis IBIS but apart from that everything else is identical the the PL5. There seem to be a few more discussions on the PL5 issue and debate on whether it's caused by the ibis so I guess I'll use those discussions as a reference for now.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  5. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    I'm pretty sure my E-PL5 had a 0-sec Anti-Shock setting, in fact, so does my E-PM1. The E-PL6 has got to have it too.

6. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    You're right, E-PL5//E-PM2/E-PM1 they all have anti-shock setting, but I think the fastest anti-shock setting is 1/8 second for those older models, even my E-M5 Mark 1 did not get the 0 second upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    Yes, you're right. 1/8sec is the fastest, which is what I have the E-PM1 set to.

8. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Both the E-PL5 and E-PL6 have the same (and rather lame!) 2-axis IBIS and neither has the 0-sec anti-shock (First Curtain Electronic Shutter - EFCS). They are basically the same camera.

Shutter speed range for SS risk is about 1/80th to 1/200th.

• Like Like x 1
  9. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Yeah, some sites incorrectly say the E-pl6 has the 3axis instead of 2. It does have the 2 axis level that i like but it's far too close in design to the 5 that I wouldn't want to risk the same SS just to save a bit of money. What a shame, such a pretty camera too. I always liked my pl3 and hoped to come back to something similar after some time and I was hoping this would be it. Maybe I'll see if the E-p5 is still available.

10. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The E-P5 is ten times a better camera than the E-PL5. If you can find one, even 2nd hand then go for it. Me? - I need an in-built EVF, so it's not an option even though I think it's a work of art.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The E-PL7 is basically an E-M10 in the Pen form factor. 3-axis IBIS and refined shutter. My E-M10 has less shutter shock issues than any other Olympus I've have. Shutter shock is generally between 1/80 - 1/180 sec.

12. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Does anyone ever really see SS? People seem to go on and on about it.The way I shoot is as fast a shutter speed as possible. I just never have a real world problem with it. The new firmware just about does away with SS it on most OLY cameras. Electronic shutter also addresses the problem for Panny.I mean ,in the scheme of things it is unfortunate that this issue would make some people shy away from Olympus or Panasonic. Then they get may get a camera that has mirror slap,which is far worse and is just now being addressed recently by Canon in their high end cameras.

13. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympus-P...a-Body-Only-/201395354661?hash=item2ee4193c25

In Pounds Sterling this is a bargain – probably cheaper than some E-Pl6s.

14. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have. There are probably 3 or 4 other things that exist in this universe that you haven't personally seen either.

15. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Me too. Some times it's very obvious, other times more subtle. But it's not that hard to see.

• Like Like x 1
  16. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA

Yes,

And it is not a hand holding technique. It is a real issue that can ruin shots for some lenses at some shutter speeds. The E-P5 solved the issue with the 0s antishock option. I bought another E-PM2 recently so that my daughter could use and it reminded me just how bad it can be (just as my previous models did). It is not a deal breaker and I have some great photos from my previous EPM1/EPM2/EPL1/EPL2 bodies. But, when it does occur, it is a pain in the ass. Hard to see on the screen when looking at photos in the field too so you don't know the extent of the problem until you get home.

I shoot with the fastest shutter I can too but the natural lighting does not always cooperate.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I only had one of the SS prone cameras,the EPL-5. I used fast primes on them and didn't notice the issue. I haven't seen cooties either,but am sure they exist.