E-pl5 with VF-4 question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Rangerob, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Rangerob

Rangerob Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2013
    Hello,
    I was wondering if the vf-4 shows reduced resolution with the E-pl5 like with the xz-2? Ive read that the eye sensor does not work, but was unsure if the vf-4's full resolution would be used.
    Thank you.

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I don't have the VF4 but I'm sure the EPL5 supports vf4's full res

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I know that the E-PL2 does not support full resolution with the VF-4, but the E-PL5 should.

--Ken

4. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I think you need to update the FW for the E-PL5 and, according to Olympus, it will support the EVF at full rez. I use the VF-4 on the older E-P3 and full rez is supported.

5. Rangerob

Rangerob Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2013
    I appreciate the info guys.

6. Allan Ostling

Allan Ostling Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2010
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I just bought the VF-4 and have it mounted on my E-PL5, which is updated with the latest firmware 1.2. I sold my VF-2 a week ago so do not have it for comparison.

Can you substantiate your claim that this combo is at full resolution?

7. Microman

Microman Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    "I just bought the VF-4 and have it mounted on my E-PL5, which is updated with the latest firmware 1.2. I sold my VF-2 a week ago so do not have it for comparison." You have it, you tell us.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  9. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Thank you, Captain Obvious. I usually click the buy button and hope for the best. I could could do the research but then I might not have the opportunity to exercise a seller's return policy or the subject matter to fuel a rant on the forum. ~ Cadet Oblivious

Ok, sunday morning sarcastic mission complete. I did thoughtlessly click the buy button yesterday and woke up today fearing I would be disappointed because I hadn't done my homework. Your link and logical thought confirmed my updated E-PL5 will do fine. Thanks,

Lee

10. ttomino1980

ttomino1980 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2014
    Slovakia
    oh thanks...good to know that even my historic E-PL3 can have full res with vf4 ...now only to find some with good money...maybe once the E-P model will apear with integrated EVF

11. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I put the VF-4 on my E-P2! Gotta love backward compatability.

EP2.