E-PL5 vs. Disney Fireworks

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by drd1135, Feb 23, 2013.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I had great fun with the E-PL5 and the 45 at Disney. The fireworks show was a challenge with the wild lighting on the castle and trying to adjust the settings in the dark with my reading glasses on. The fireworks themselves were easy: manual everything with MF on a far away point. The castle lighting, however, was like a crash test for the WB. These all have the saturation turned down. Still, they are cartoonish scenes anyway so I can take a little artistic license in the RAW processing.

castle%203-L.

castle%202-L.

fireworks%202-L.

fireworks%203-L.

castle%204-L.

fireworks%201-L.

• Like Like x 14
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Prior to the fireworks, there is a pre-show where they show animated lighting schemes on the castle. Obviously a still shot doesn't really capture this, but here is OOC JPG sharpened and re-sized. I'm always impressed by the quality of their work.

castle%206-L.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Jewood1234

Jewood1234 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2011
    Nicely done

A challenging environment to shoot in. Especially like #5.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I should mention these are all at iso 3200. The E-PL5, i.e., the new Sony sensor, is a real treasure in low light.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Wow, these turned out very well. Nicely captured! :thumbup:

6. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Great pictures. Please share your other settings of the pics. Did you use a tripod?

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Your fireworks shots came out better than the ones I shot last month at Epcot! Were you at Disneyland or Disney World? What were your complete settings?

Mine are so bad I don't even want to post them. I did find that processing through Snapseed's drama and grunge filters makes them interesting and at least presentable. I also did not have a good position to shoot from and that was part of the reason but I also think I had the camera's set wrong.

I love this shot! It makes the castle look like it was built out of legos!

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    DisneyWorld. A tripod was out because I didn't want to tote it around the park all day and if you pixel peep you can see microblur that a tripod would have prevented. I set the camera on manual at f2.5 and 1/25 s. Why? 1/25 is the slowest speed I thought I could handhold and I like to stop the lens down a bit for better performance in the edges and corners. Fireworks tend to take care of themselves, like using a flash, and it's also good to get a little motion blur to make them look right. I could also test the exposure on the castle in the earlier shots. According to the meter, I was 3 stops underexposed. The short answer is quick trial and error and a little luck.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I think that's exactly what it was. It must be an interesting job designing shows like this. I'm not sure what the CV skill set list would look like.

10. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Really nice images, well done.

Brian