1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL5 Visits Top of the Rock

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nylife, Jan 9, 2013.

1. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    Funny story this morning, I wanted to go to Top of the Rock to take some pictures, got my ticket the night before all set for 8am opening, go there, get to security(forgetting i have a small packet knife in my camera bag). Security flags it as they supposed to, but here is the funny part, i ask can i just leave it here and pick it up on my way down, no sir you can not. You have to either throw it out in this garbage can or go hide it somewhere. Seriously hide it in Rockefeller Center, really? LOL
    So i go hide in the flower pot outside and come back :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Nice images.

I had my OM-D up there in the evening on New Year's Day.

30-ROCK_Panorama1.

• Like Like x 2
  3. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    yeah it was a cloudy morning, i need to visit it next time at night with clear sky

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I like the central park shot a lot. I like all the shots, but the Empire State Building, of course, is a pretty common shot. Don't see the Central Park on as much, and I like the treatment/filter you used.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Excellent shots. I like seeing the Freedom Tower rising up in the distance, and Central Park always amuses me.

6. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Excellent shots. I as well especially like the one with Central Park in view. I do see a halo effect around the spire of the Empire State Bldg in shots #2 and to a small extent shot #4. I'm sure you can easily fix that in PP. I go to New York every weekend but have never been up there since I took up photography.

Hmm.. Am thinking of going this weekend. May I ask what focal length you used and any cropping? I don't want to risk having to change lenses up there -- I'm sure it can get really windy.

7. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    top 2 shots are 25mm Panasonic Lens, the rest are 14mm Panasonic Lens

there is some cropping, but very minimal

8. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I think the clouds and haze give it atmosphere, no pun intended. Especially #4.

9. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    Without the halo, the second shot would be my favourite. The halo on that (and #4) just distracts me completely.

The central park picture is almost a case study in framing. So many people (including probably me) would've put the park in the centre, and it just works so well where you've put it..

10. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    There are plenty of nice big comfy seats to sit on indoors to change lenses etc. It's about as far removed from the cramped ESB Observatory as it's possible to get.

• Like Like x 1
  11. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey

Thanks! Ooh... perfect opportunity to try out my 17/1.8 then. :smile:

12. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey