1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL5 & VF-2 - No playback/settings on VF-2? :-(

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jermonic, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    Just bought the (horribly overpriced) VF-2, luckily at half of original price (the true price).

The quality is superb for my use though, BUT the following is crushing the whole experience:

1)
    After taking a shot using the VF-2, there is NO way to quickzoom and check sharpness in-EVF, because it goes instantly to the LCD, which defeats the whole purpose of having a VF-2. Yes, I can change "Rec View" from AUTO to "any amount of seconds", but then there is no quickzooming available. This is silly to say the least.

2)
    When I enter menu/settings or playback mode by button, it just switches to LCD.

I can't find any option to change the above behaviour. What was Olympus thinking when they came up with that? I want to be able to use my VF-2 exclusively - this criss-cross switching is criminally insane, and TOTALLY pointless. There's no excuse for not providing an option.

Can anyone help - Am I missing a setting?
    I'm using body firmware 1.2, and I'm losing it here.

I've found the following discussions, but it didn't make me happier reading:
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51005059
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3129128

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Your observations are true and annoying, I'm afraid you'll have to get used to pressing the button on the EVF ... a lot, sorry.

3. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    Thanks.

This is such a stupid design decision - I can't fully comprehend it. I'm afraid it's unacceptable for me, and I'll have to look for an E-PL5 alternative.

Is the E-PL6 or E-PL7 riddled with the same design flaw?

4. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Unfortunately the Olympus designers didn't want to simulate the typical DSLR experience : take the pic, chimp to the LCD and zoom to check stuff. impossible on all of these cameras.
    Personally I think that's the first thing they should have implemented and there are many threads bemoaning it at places like DPReveiw from the early days of the E-M5.
    The G1, G3, etc are better for this as you can leave the LCD 'closed' and view everything, all the time, through the EVF.