E-PL5 touchscreen focusing and bright light

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by shawngibson, Apr 18, 2013.

1. shawngibson

shawngibson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    Hey guys,

I'm picking up the PL5 and 45+75mm primes next week. I have a paid shoot on the 11th and this is my only gear, save a friend's backup Nikon.

My question is, how good is the screen on the PL5 in bright light, ie do I need the external viewfinder? Second question is, how accurate is the touchscreen for focus/shoot if I have a decent aperture? I know I can play with the size of the focus boxes, but if my finger misses by a bit, what happens?

If the screen will suffice, I can add the 17/1.8 for the shoot, which is why I'm asking, since if I have to add the viewfinder, I can't get the 17.

Merci, Shawn

Edit ps I can buy the viewfinder after the shoot with the funds I make, so I will be getting it, but the question is 17/1.8 vs viewfinder for this first shoot.
  2. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    1. Touchscreen focus/shoot is excellent. I only use it where I can use highish shutter speeds to avoid camera shake, but it pretty much never misses.

2. Screen is pretty good in bright light. I have a viewfinder and use it when I need to, but it's more a preference than necessity.

If you think the 17 would be useful on the shoot, I'd go for that. If you're pretty sure you can get by with the longer lenses, get the VF. It all depends on subject and location. I'm assuming you've scouted out a location and have a pretty good idea of what and how you intend to shoot. If you've got enough room to back up, 45 gives comfortable perspective and is quite pleasing for people (based on my shooting 35mm with 85 and 90 mm lenses).

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    A paid shoot with a camera you've had for all of two weeks? Bit risky, if you ask me.
  4. shawngibson

shawngibson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks guys. Yes, it's a paid shoot but I've shot for this family twice before, once with an E-P2 and once with a 5D. 3 weeks (less actually I'm getting the camera on the 27th) with lots of practice is enough time I think and I will be putting myself into similar situations with friends, kids, etc. to get a feel for it. I also have a gig the Saturday before where I will be chasing kids around all day, but that is unpaid for a friend. I think I'll have a good feel by then of the camera.

Paul you bring up a good point, I'm not exactly sure where it is, it's an 80th birthday party so I assumed indoors or possibly in a backyard. I will email her and ask.