E-PL5 shutter button cover lost

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jjpeterberger, May 7, 2014.

1. jjpeterberger

jjpeterberger Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    Oregon, USA
    Jay
    I've seen this mentioned before. I noticed that the shutter button cover is missing. I carry the camera in my handlebar bag on rides so this isn't completely surprising.

Is it possible to replace the button cover? Does the camera need to go back to Olympus?

I bought the camera second hand so a warranty fix isn't likely. Also, and more importantly, I'm leaving in a month on a year-long, worldwide bike tour.

Thanks for the help,
    Jay

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Call and see if you can mail order the part. It cant be too hard to put back on

3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Yep, this happened to me too and I reckon it's a design fault. I'm lucky, unlike you I always managed to locate the shutter button after it fell off but I won't take the E-PL5 out with me without sticky tape covering the shutter button.

4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    It might be design, or maybe a materials issue. This lens rentals blog post on repair data mentions buttons popping off the OM-D as a common problem. I know its a different camera, but they don't rent out the EPL5.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/08/lensrentals-repair-data-2012-2013

5. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    Do you mean the shutter button popped out? I had this happened to my epl5 last month when I pull it out of my tight fitting bag. It's not easy to put it back on properly. There is a spring in there. If you lost the spring, the half press focus lock won't work consistently. I ended up getting it warranty repaired. Olympus had to replace the button assembly and the top plate. Now it stays on snugly and auto focus lock back working properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  6. nautim

nautim New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2013
    I had my shutter button repaired under warranty last May. I'd only had the camera since April and the repair took 5 weeks. The button came off again but this time it still worked - until yesterday. The end of the spring came out, got caught on something and the button is now dodgy. I've ordered a second hand Panasonic g6 body. When it arrives the olympus will have to go for repair again :-(

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

7. Yuri Solov

Yuri Solov New to Mu-43

Feb 22, 2017
    bumping this thread because, Today, after spending 2 hours outdoors with my E-PL5, I came home and lightly dropped the camera onto my bed/pillow. The shutter release button cover promptly popped off! Really a poor design. Not sure if any of the other E-PL models also use this cover type - Be forewarned that without this cover, the shutter release is very difficult is operate properly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Dresden, Germany
    I lost mine years ago, but I actually forgot about it because it has never posed a problem for me. It only came up recently when a local store was evaluating the camera and when they pointed it out to me, I was surprised because I'd been using the camera out and about without trouble.

I recall that I tried to pop the button top back on when it first came off, but it never stuck. Since I could still use the camera, I just ignored it from then on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    My E-PL5 had a shutter button that kept popping off - luckily I never lost the spring that kept it in place and managed to keep putting it back together and eventually put a tiny dab of superglue right in the middle to keep it attached.
    I've since upgraded to a Pen-F, where the thumbgrip quickly became detached. I had to Sugru that back in place.

10. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Dresden, Germany
    Good tip,thanks!

11. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    Be careful, I feel it wouldn't take much to get down the sides of the actual button that's below the cap and glue the whole lot up! If you can get hold of Sugru give that a try, it's a mouldable glue that hardens to rubber, so won't run into all the tiny gaps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    @Julia@Julia and @GarethB@GarethB, I had the shutter button on my E-P5 come off (don't know how) but the Sugru fixed it. Just rolled a tiny ball of Sugru (1/8" Dia.) and attached a soft release button to the top of the Sugru and pressed enough to flatten the ball (1/16" thick), let it sit 24 hours and it works great. I still get the half press feature. I bought my E-P5 used too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Yuri Solov

Yuri Solov New to Mu-43

Feb 22, 2017
    Sugru, a good tip, Thx... I'll remember for ANY future issues where this might apply best.
    I did give the Cap a small dab of Superglue, after trying a more flexible all-purpose glue (which didn;t work...)
    Have only used the camera for an hour or so since - so far so good...
    I was careful to put only enough glue on to bond just the cap to the button - not enough to flow further... shutter works fine, how long the bond lasts - we'll see... still really like the E-pl5 for it's size and more features than I can possibly use well...
    @Julia@Julia I did try using the camera without the Shutter button cover in place - didn't work so well... Although my large fingers aren't chunky or meaty, I couldn't use the light pressure to lock exposure/focus consistently before the full press. So, i really need the cover to raise the contact point above the shutter button collar. Maybe thinner fingers have an easier time when the cover is off?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  14. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Dresden, Germany
    That might be the case – I just tested it again, because I didn't really pay any attention, and I don't have any trouble even doing the half-press. Of course, that is much more subtle now that the cap is off.

Maybe it also depends on how much of the cap comes off? I attached an image below of how my shutter button looks like now. I do recall (it's been so long, I might be wrong) that the wire you can see there partially sprang out of the round thing at some point, too, but that I just pushed it back with my nails (yay for being a woman :D ). Since then, I've literally not done anything to it and used it as is. I didn't even consider getting a replacement cap, but this thread has given me some thought. I figure a replacement cap might not be too expensive, and with Sugru, it just might stay in place and prevent the wire of exposed mechanism from snagging on anything when I carry it in my jacket pocket.

IMG_3781.

15. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I admire you lot for persevering. It was exactly this issue that made me decide to bin the E-PL5 for the E-P5 which I am pleased to say has never even hinted at this problem (those guys at Olympus, they knew!) I'm looking forward to see how you all handle the rear wheel intermittently working issue.

16. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Dresden, Germany
    Well, in all honesty, my main body is an E-M5. I only take the E-PL5 out when I'm strolling around with friends and family and know that I won't have time to shoot, or when I attend an event where the large body and the 12-40 are too big to carry (or might in danger of being damaged). I guess with the E-PL5 being the backup body, I'm not too worried about it having this problem.

17. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    @Julia@Julia, that looks just like my E-P5's missing shutter button before repair.
    The main reason I used Sugru was that it's a putty like material before it cures to a hard rubber so I didn't have to worry about it dripping or oozing into the shutter mechanism. I'm so glad you didn't have this problem.

18. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Yes just got my E-P5 back again from warranty with the rear wheel skipping problem. From what I have seen this problem cant really be fixed. I anticipate it will be back again with my extended warranty. Shame as it is a great camera apart from this problem.

• Agree Agree x 1