E-PL5 shutter button cover lost

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jjpeterberger, May 7, 2014.

1. jjpeterberger

jjpeterberger Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    Oregon, USA
    I've seen this mentioned before. I noticed that the shutter button cover is missing. I carry the camera in my handlebar bag on rides so this isn't completely surprising.

Is it possible to replace the button cover? Does the camera need to go back to Olympus?

I bought the camera second hand so a warranty fix isn't likely. Also, and more importantly, I'm leaving in a month on a year-long, worldwide bike tour.

Thanks for the help,
  2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Call and see if you can mail order the part. It cant be too hard to put back on
  3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Yep, this happened to me too and I reckon it's a design fault. I'm lucky, unlike you I always managed to locate the shutter button after it fell off but I won't take the E-PL5 out with me without sticky tape covering the shutter button.
  4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    It might be design, or maybe a materials issue. This lens rentals blog post on repair data mentions buttons popping off the OM-D as a common problem. I know its a different camera, but they don't rent out the EPL5.

5. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Theo K.
    Do you mean the shutter button popped out? I had this happened to my epl5 last month when I pull it out of my tight fitting bag. It's not easy to put it back on properly. There is a spring in there. If you lost the spring, the half press focus lock won't work consistently. I ended up getting it warranty repaired. Olympus had to replace the button assembly and the top plate. Now it stays on snugly and auto focus lock back working properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Mu-43 mobile app
    • Like Like x 1
  6. nautim

nautim New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2013
    I had my shutter button repaired under warranty last May. I'd only had the camera since April and the repair took 5 weeks. The button came off again but this time it still worked - until yesterday. The end of the spring came out, got caught on something and the button is now dodgy. I've ordered a second hand Panasonic g6 body. When it arrives the olympus will have to go for repair again :-(

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app