E-PL5 -+ Rokinon 7.5mm Terrific Parade Pair

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by isabel95, Dec 9, 2013.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

The sun was low and bright and I had to shoot a lot of subjects backlit by it, so I knew I was going to be challenged.

From previous experience I knew that the Rokinon was a great lens to capture parades from the inside out, so I popped it on my e-pl5 which was wearing a temporary cellphone lcd protector, set the distance scale at infinity and shot away, watching the histogram to make sure I didn't blow out the sky too much because I had to make sure people weren't silhouettes.

When I started working on the images I was amazed that even though the sky looked well blown on the camera screen I was able to get back lots of detail in Photoshop, testimony that the dynamic range of the e-pl5 is excellent. I also had some shadow lifting to do on faces, because of the strong backlighting, but that too worked out well.

I found a touch of Topaz Adjust HDR filtration brought out some nice detail too.

11267420055_012fccc790_o.
    11267473594_892b8ba8eb_o.

Isabel

• Like Like x 8
  2. clbaker

clbaker Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2013
    I like it. Pretty inexpensive lens, too. Lots of fun.

3. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thank you, clbaker!

4. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Mu-43 Regular

B&H have the lens on sale (Bower badge) for $200.

5. rusteel

rusteel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    great capture isabel95! i have the Rokinon too and my E-PL5 5 will arrive tomorrow hopefully. can't wait to pair these two gadgets...

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Very nice! An old trick that I use on bright days is to set the camera to manual, then meter off a clear blue area of the sky. Just point the camera at a relatively clear, blue section and use the meter to set exposure. Then I shoot without paying anymore attention to the camera's exposure meter. It works surprisingly well. With the Rokinon set to infinity there's nothing to do but press the shutter.

• Like Like x 3
  7. rusteel

rusteel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    got my E-PL5 (refurbished) today and tried mounting my Rokinon but didn't work. i'm new to Olympus so i don't know what adjustments to make. tried my Sigma's 19 and 30, same issues. what am i doing wrong, help! can't wait to play with Fisheye on my E-PL5. guys, gals anyone?

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What didn't work? If the native electronic Sigma lenses are not working, the refurbished E-PL5 body might have a problem...

• Like Like x 1
  9. rusteel

rusteel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    thanks for the quick response Wjiang. i figured it out and it did work. the lenses were not turned all the way/secured/lock. i was dumb, way too excited and got paranoid after i failed. but i'm happy now that every lens i have is working. LOL