E-PL5 -+ Rokinon 7.5mm Terrific Parade Pair

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by isabel95, Dec 9, 2013.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

The sun was low and bright and I had to shoot a lot of subjects backlit by it, so I knew I was going to be challenged.

From previous experience I knew that the Rokinon was a great lens to capture parades from the inside out, so I popped it on my e-pl5 which was wearing a temporary cellphone lcd protector, set the distance scale at infinity and shot away, watching the histogram to make sure I didn't blow out the sky too much because I had to make sure people weren't silhouettes.

When I started working on the images I was amazed that even though the sky looked well blown on the camera screen I was able to get back lots of detail in Photoshop, testimony that the dynamic range of the e-pl5 is excellent. I also had some shadow lifting to do on faces, because of the strong backlighting, but that too worked out well.

I found a touch of Topaz Adjust HDR filtration brought out some nice detail too.

11267420055_012fccc790_o.jpg
    11267473594_892b8ba8eb_o.jpg

Isabel

• Like Like x 8
  2. clbaker

clbaker Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2013
    I like it. Pretty inexpensive lens, too. Lots of fun.

3. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thank you, clbaker!

4. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Mu-43 Regular

B&H have the lens on sale (Bower badge) for $200.

5. rusteel

rusteel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    great capture isabel95! i have the Rokinon too and my E-PL5 5 will arrive tomorrow hopefully. can't wait to pair these two gadgets...

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Very nice! An old trick that I use on bright days is to set the camera to manual, then meter off a clear blue area of the sky. Just point the camera at a relatively clear, blue section and use the meter to set exposure. Then I shoot without paying anymore attention to the camera's exposure meter. It works surprisingly well. With the Rokinon set to infinity there's nothing to do but press the shutter.

• Like Like x 3
  7. rusteel

rusteel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    got my E-PL5 (refurbished) today and tried mounting my Rokinon but didn't work. i'm new to Olympus so i don't know what adjustments to make. tried my Sigma's 19 and 30, same issues. what am i doing wrong, help! can't wait to play with Fisheye on my E-PL5. guys, gals anyone?

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

What didn't work? If the native electronic Sigma lenses are not working, the refurbished E-PL5 body might have a problem...

• Like Like x 1
  9. rusteel

rusteel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    thanks for the quick response Wjiang. i figured it out and it did work. the lenses were not turned all the way/secured/lock. i was dumb, way too excited and got paranoid after i failed. but i'm happy now that every lens i have is working. LOL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.