e-pl5 : Print it BIG

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Cederic, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Take a random photo taken with the e-pl5:

Print it out six foot wide (and photograph it with your mobile phone):

From three inches I can see grain on the moon. From a yard away I can't. Very happy.
    • Like Like x 7
  2. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    What's the size of that print?
  3. mymaccrashes

mymaccrashes New to Mu-43

Mar 6, 2011
  4. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

This is amazing. What lens were you using and where did you get this printed. It's a great shot btw.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I'm missing something here. What is the purpose of this post/activity? Just making murals?
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    It is often said that you don't need a certain resolution/IQ unless you print big. Many cameras produce good enough results for 1000x1200 pixel images to post in the forum. Here is an example of printing big.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    160 cm x 114 cm. So approx 6 foot by 4 foot. It's not a perfect 3x2 ratio due to a teensy crop to take out a streetlamp on the bottom edge.

The Panasonic 35-100/f2.8, at 100mm.

Printed by Eazywallz, a small Canadian firm. It's actually a sticker, which is why I went with them rather than a traditional print shop.

They're not expensive for the size of the print, probably not the greatest quality (they went from the generic JPG, so I suspect the colour gamut could be vastly improved - if only I knew how) and the cost of shipping to the UK frankly hurt. But I've been using bare wall as a headboard, so decided to get it decorated; a framed print would get knocked off every night. Getting a durable sticker (it's not paper, more of a matt frabric) felt ideal.

Obviously someone's now going to tell me I should've used a traditional print shop with 'sticker' setting :)

Everyone tells you, "Don't print above A4 / A3". I decided to take a gamble, and I'm very happy with the results. So the point is pretty much to share the art of the possible.

It's printed at approx. 73dpi, which is just about at the minimum recommended, but at that size you don't need to stand close.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Nice shot and nice application of a large print.

Even better, you seem to have color coordinated your bed spread to you photo. You may have a career as a home decorator! :)