1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL5 or Olympus 45mm

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by sammykhalifa, Jun 19, 2013.

1. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Yeah, yeah I know, they're two totally different things.

With any luck, my car will stop smacking me with bills soon. Sometime later this summer I'm hoping to "upgrade" my kit a little.

I know the general rule of thumb is that you should invest in the glass, but I've also read that the EPL5 is going to be a substantial upgrade over my EPL2 in terms of high ISO and dynamic range. On the other hand, the 45 should fit in nicely with the other lenses I have (14, 20, Hexanon57, 45-200). I'm also not sure about what I'll think about the smaller size of the PL5 over the 2 (which seems more like the new EP5).

I have some time to think about it and will probably change my mind several times in the meantime (or jump on a deal), but I was wondering what people thought would give me a better upgrade.

2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    FWIW, I have the E-PL3 (which uses the same sensor as the E-PL2) and the itch to get the upgraded sensor is not that bad. Probably because I get very good images from the oly 45 (plus the Panny 20).

It's not very often that I shoot in the dark, so the extra DR and ISO really ain't biting me so hard. I am happy to wait when things (read: prices) settle down before I upgrade. So you can get even better mileage from your workhorse by adding the lens now rather than later.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Buy the 45mm, everyone should have one.
    £230 v £400 is quite a difference, although selling the free 17mm might net you back most of the difference ...
    Ooer, maybe go for the e-pL5 then.

Heh!

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I think the difference in sensors is a fairly big deal. But having said that, if you really need the 45/1.8 then I'd go with the lens. If the 20 and 14 will be your workhorses and you can live with the Hex or the zoom when you'd grab the 45/1.8 then I'd say go with the E-PL5.

5. How much use would you expect to get from the 45mm? For me it is a very limited use lens so I would find it hard to recommend over a substantial body upgrade such as the E-PL2 to the E-PL5.

6. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I was very surprised when I got my E-PL3 by how bad the higher ISO noise was. If you shoot much in lower light are at all bothered by the noise from your sensor, the upgrade will be a nice change for you. And Nic makes an excellent point, the 45 is a great portrait lens, but if you don't tend to do much of that, it may be a somewhat limited-use lens for you. If you do a lot of portraits, then you will find the 45 to be very useful and impressive, indeed.

7. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    Go for the EPL5 (refurb from Cameta is $429). I sold my EPL2 and upgraded to the 5. World of difference. If you want another lens, consider the Sigma 30mm f2.8 plus the Epl5

8. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Maybe by the time you get around to it, the PL5 will be cheaper.

For me, I'd rather have the older body and 45mm. It's a far cry from my busiest lens but essential nonetheless.

9. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Yeah, part of me is hoping that maybe even the E-M5 might drop a bit when that rumored "supercamera" comes out. I could then sell the VF2.

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    When there's a face to photograph the 45mm is the tool for the job ... and there are always a lot of faces.
    The e-pL5 is the first Olympus with a possibility to get to bracketing quickly without menu-diving, plus other benefits so it really interests me : but I ALREADY HAVE the 45, and that's mega important.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It all depends on what you're doing with it, but my Minis are the only cameras that really see any time outside of the studio anymore. That slim body is a substantial advantage to portability. On the other hand, my E-PL2 still sees a lot of studio time. :)

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I got the M. Zuiko first to utilize with my E-PL2. Then I got the M. Zuiko 75mm to use with my E-PL2 - I wouldn't have done it any other way :smile:

Then I got my E-PL5 :smile:

13. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    I would normally say glass too. In this case buying the 45mm will give you a bit over 2 stop of better performance and better subject isolation at 45mm focal length. With the E-PL5 you will get two stops better performance at 14, 20, and 45-200mm. Me I would go with the extra dynamic range and high ISO performance and upgrade which essentially upgrades your whole kit instead of upgrading a single focal length.

14. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    Depends what you shoot. If it's people then the 45mm is a great lens, renders beautifully, is fast, light and small. If it's landscapes or low light work then the sensor upgrade may be more important for you. The improvements in shadow lifting ability are significant.

Michael

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

15. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I can't help but think the value of the E-PL5 will experience a dip once the E-P5 comes out. I think I'd grab the O45 now and then pick up an E-PL5 (or perhaps an OM-D) in 6-9 months after the "next big thing" is announced.

16. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    To the OP, I would typically say get better glass BUT if you already have glass that suits your shooting needs then go for the upgrade for the sensor. I only say that because my :43: system is mainly for everything but portraits or anything beyond 100mm equivalent. My 12-50, 14, 17 1.8 and 7.5mm all are great for my needs so I went with the OMD upgrade. This sensor is impressive. The 45mm and 75mm are at the top as glass goes but I find myself shooting in tight spaces way too often to commit to walking around with a 90mm to 150mm FL.

:drinks:

17. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Hey, thanks everyone. I'm still on the fence here but honestly I don't think either way is a bad decision. I don't use the 45mm focal length right now but I am sure I would a lot if I went that way. Better sensor sounds like a drastic improvement too, according to you guys. Now if I could only get the dentist and mechanic bills to stop . . .

18. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Go for the lens — it's fantastic. If you upgrade your camera, you will get basically the same pictures, only slightly better. But a good lens with unusual (for you) perspective is a way to explore new creative possibilities.

19. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Yeah, I can totally appreciate that. I started using the Konica 57mm just because I picked it up at a yardsale and wanted to experiment a bit. It sat on a shelf for months until I forced myself to use it exclusively for two weeks. Now it's become a bit of a staple even though I wish I was better/faster at the whole manual focus thing . . .

20. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    The Oly 45mm is an absolutely fantastic lens, if you want a moderate telephoto. I find myself wanting to keep it on because I like it so much, and just step back when needed. One nice thing about the focal length is that you can take people pictures from a bit further back, so people are less likely to notice (works with my kids.)

That being said, the newer Pen's will AF much faster with that lens than the older ones. The E-PL2 hunts a bit with the Oly 45, combined with the focal length I found it a tad bit frustrating to use (harder to take casual snaps).

But it is a joy to use with the newer Pens, and with many Pansonic bodies (it focuses fast on even the GF3 which are apparently going for cheap now on EBay due to recent closeout sales.) The GX1 is also now going for $200 new (and surely less used), if you are open to considering Panasonic bodies.

So ideally you will eventually get the lens AND upgrade your body. Which should come first, I think will depend on how much you want that focal length. Over the long haul, the lens will keep its value much better than a body- every year there's a newer better body, but not a newer, better version of the same lens. So you're looking at $300 plus change for the lens regardless, or maybe less if you're lucky and find a body/lens combo that you can stretch your budget to fit.