E-PL5 or G5

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by DynaSport, May 29, 2013.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I bought a E-PM1 a little over a year ago because I wanted a smaller camera than my dslr to carry around with me. I only have the kit lens it came with and the Oly 40-150 as my funds have been limited lately. It took me a long time to get used to the functioning of the camera, as I come from the Canon XXD line and am used to having dials to change mode and select shutter speed and aperature.

Actually, in retrospect, the Mini Pen was probably not a wise choice for me, as I have never liked the Canon Rebel line because they have fewer dials and require more fiddling to change settings.

But, the price of the Mini Pen and it's size really appealed to me, and in truth, when I do it right, the camera is capable of taking excellent photos, even with my cheap lenses.

So, I have been thinking my next purchase would be some better glass. But then I thought that I would still be dealing with a camera I am not totally happy with, ergonomically and control function wise. I realize all cameras are a compromise in some area, whether size, price, quallity, etc. But recently I have been thinking about getting a new body before new glass. I have been considering the E-PL5, but I'm not sure even it has the controls I'll be happy with. I recently began looking at the G5, which, from what I can tell, has more dials and controls, plus other features I like such as the swivel LCD. But of course it is bigger. But I can't really tell how much bigger. I don't have a store anywhere near me that sells either one, so I'd be forced to buy without actually holding either one.

So, for me the benefits of the E-PL5 seem to be size, in body IS, and better JPEGs out of camera.

The benefit of the G5 seems to be handling and maybe an easier interface or at lease a more similar interface to me along with a swivel LCD.

The prices seem similar enough to compare.

Also, would you just stick with the Mini Pen and get better lenses first and get a new body later. That has always been my philosophy, but I am not sure in my current situation.

Thanks
    Dan

2. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    since you aren't happy with the ergonomics of your camera, I would get a different camera. It doesn't matter what glass you have if you don't like the camera body it is attached to. I had the E-pl1, great little camera, but much like you I was used to Canon DSLR's. I ended up getting the G5, not as many dials as a DSLR, but enough for my taste..the most specific one was the exposure dial, and exposure compensation button. The added bonus I discovered was that I could bracket up to 7 stops...not three like my E-pl1, and every Canon DSLR i owned.

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thats a difficult one. I'd say go to Oly for the reasons you mentioned. Reasonable amount of buttons and good ergonomics and IBIS but if swivel screed against tiltable and ergonomics are mostly important for you then go Pana.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Dan, do you have access to a store where both cameras are offered? You probably need to hold both in your hands before deciding. Or, alternately, order both from a store with a generous return policy, spend a weekend handling both and return the one you don't want.

5. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    I have an E-PL5 (as my first m4/3 body) and i can really vouch for it.

Since I'm not familiar with the G5 I really can not comment on it, but buying new and better glass is always a safe choice, it won't loose much value (at least not as much as camera body) and later down the road you can buy the current line of camera bodies for much less.

6. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I'm not sure if a G5 would fit the requirement ( a very good camera though) but the size is approaching entry level APS/C DSLRs but I assume from the text that the size was part of the main requirement for purchasing the EPM1.

This would lead to ( as suggested) EPL-5 as one option (one dial) which gives you the very, very, nice sensor from the OMD in something not much bigger than the EPM1 or waiting for the EP5 (2 dials) and higher cost. Turning on the SCP on touch screen cameras works very well but even on my kids EPL-3's because you programme how each setting on the main dial works (even though they are not touch screen) SCP plus rocker/dial works surprising well.

If you wanted an EVF then one option would be the G3, the sensor is an improvement over the EPM1/EPL3 but not as good as the sensor in EPL-5/OMD but the size is much smaller than the G5. Again at higher cost you have the OMD which is actually much smaller than pictures suggest and it's not until you hold one that you realise just how small it is.

The problem is with m4/3 you always have lots of options to choose from and only each individual can decide which one is closest to their needs (and it usually one of the expensive ones :( ).

Sorry if I have generated more questions than answers.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The omd is not much bigger than the E-PL 5 and a used one will not be significantly more expensive. The degree of control on the omd is superb - you won't be disappointed by that!

8. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Had both and the E-PL5 is gone and the G5 stays, lol. I don't like the way the E-PL5 handles as much as the G5.

Had an E-M5 and just sold that too. Handling and general operation is more important to me than absolute quality. The G5 is pretty darn good. My review is here:

BLOG.ENTROPICREMNANTS.COM: Diversity's Real Value: A Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Camera Review

There is however a lot to be said for the E-PL5 if you're into the way it works. You can't fault image quality or build. It's a great camera -- just not for me, lol.

9. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    i didn't find the G5 approaches DSLR size - at least, not any DSLR i've used. it's small with a great grip, and i really liked it in the hand. i was surprised that it was small, since i had read many posts on several camera boards talking about its size.

i'd go for the E-PL5 at this point, but only because i really like my E-PM2 and think i'd be even happier with a mode dial and articulated screen. still, the articulated screen on the panasonics is awesome (i loved it on my G3), the ergonomics were flawless for me, and i like the controls.

i don't think you can go wrong with either camera, honestly.

10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Lets say that one important factor may be IBIS, if its very important for you then epl5 otherwise G5.

11. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I really have to disagree on this one.

12. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    It's not just the size of the camera that drew me to M43, it's the size of the lenses as well. I looked at the Sony NEX system, but the lenses are as big as my dslr lenses. I love the size of the M43 lenses I have seen. Not all are tiny, but they are certainly smaller than I am used to.

13. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
  14. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Oh boy, this is quite a discussion. The problem is you really have to hold them. The sensors are similar, the menus are what they are, and the Pen has IBIS. The biggest difference between them, IMHO, is the ergonomics. I have an EPL5 and a G3, and while I agree the G5 is different, there is still a really obvious difference in the hand between Pens and Gs.

16. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I know that compared to some DSLR's the G5 is small but compare it to some of the Sony Alphas and it's about 95% of the size hence the comment that it's "approaching" DSLR sizes.

I have very small hands (could never use a Canon) and for me size is a key point so perhaps I am more sensitive to this than others. If you have large hands then the G5 will be fine and an OMD will feel like a toy unless you fit the battery grip (the ability to do this is an, somewhat expensive, advantage of the OMD).

As mentioned you have try them in your own hands and make your own mind up. For example on paper the OMD is bigger (taller and wider but thinner) than a G5 but in the hand it feels smaller.

17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I currently have the GH2, G5, E-PL3, and E-M5.

Of these, I prefer the Pany ergonomics and menus. But I like having IBIS, for use with some of my non-OIS lenses when light levels are very low. That isn't a heavily encountered circumstance, for me. Certainly, to a large extent, IS isn't terribly important - especially with bodies having greater high-ISO image quality! And IBIS isn't necessary when using OIS lenses. Generally, IS of any sort is only needed under low light situations. It's nice when you need it, but for most situations it probably isn't important.

If you have the luxury of having two or three m4/3 bodies, then having one with IBIS is nice. And otherwise, Pany bodies are quite wonderful to have and use.

I don't have an answer for you on this, but will say that I love the G5. And that I'm sure the E-PL5 is an equally wonderful camera in different ways.

Having a built-in EVF is important to me for a primary camera body. Others don't seem to find much importance in an EVF. How do you feel about this?

Evaluate your ability to have two bodies and how you would use each of them. Then look at what features each would need to have. If you can only have one body, choose accordingly.

18. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I made the switch from EPL-5 to G5 a few months ago and I am happy I did. I specifically bought the EPL5 because of its size coupled with its sensor and it served me well on a trip to Ireland last December. But it also reminded me how much I hated having a camera without a built in vf. And the controls were a little cramped and menu driven for my taste. The G5 solved the vf problem nicely. Image quality is about as good as the EPL-5. Exterior controls (buttons) are better. It is a better, moer traditional camera arrangement which I prefer.

19. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    The silent shutter shooting with the G5 is awesome. Good EVF. I love the pinpoint focusing as well. And ergonomics, Pany menus, fully articulating LCD screen, etc. This camera pretty much has it all, for such a modest price. Great choice.