e-pl5 on digital teleconverter mode

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CanonConvert, Feb 15, 2013.

1. CanonConvert

CanonConvert Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2012
    i'm still quite new to e-pl5, so pardon me if the questions i ask are relatively simple.

1. the product page mentions it's possible to get 4X TC in stills mode, but i've yet to find any button that can help me to achieve that. the max is only 2x. the instruction manual says nothing about 4x too.. am i missing something?

1b. just to confirm, the digital TC in stills mode is completely useless if i only process my RAWs in LR right? it effectively crops the middle part of the sensor to output a jpeg that is 8mp (halved).

2. is it supposed to be the case that I can use digital TC in REALTIME when shooting a video? i pressed the zoom button on cam when shooting, but nothing happened. i have to stop the video first, use my Fn shortcut (for TC) to zoom in 2x, then start again.

i've dug through all the settings, but to no avail. hope to get some help here.

the manual is here but i can't find the relevant info :( (http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/pen/man_epl5_e.pdf)

---

other misc questions:

3. to get maximum DR, i want to shoot as flat as possible - so is 'Natural' or 'Muted' the better option?
    4. i used the mysets shortcut tagged to the record button. however, the funny thing is i need to keep it HELD DOWN all the way while shooting for it to be fixed. is there a way for me to toggle between A/B set by the press of a button?

2. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    I'm afraid I don't shoot movies at all, but 4x TC works if you set the camera to movie mode on the control dial.

With respect to 1b, yes, that is how I understand it to work too. The sensor always sees the entire image with the TC being a crop of the centre area. I suppose lots of folks (including me) expected the raw to have been cropped, but maybe it's one of those things were some folks might prefer it uncropped.

I'll have to try it out on the old Kodak and see what that does.

3. CanonConvert

Nov 22, 2012
    that's odd. i just can't get 4x TC to come out no matter how many times i jab the Fn button (which gives me 2x TC and normal mode). :(

4. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    Well, I played around with it a little more. In movie mode I can only get 4x TC, which can be selected and switched on or off while recording.

In any PASM mode I can only get 2x TC mode which must be selected before you start recording. I can't switch it on or off during recording.

In stills mode I can only use 2x TC mode.

A little confusing I have to say.

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Digital zoom is pointless for stills - just crop the final image later if you need to.

6. CanonConvert

Nov 22, 2012

i'm still getting 2x TC in movie mode :(

in any case, shouldn't they allow Either 2x or 4x TC mode when shooting video?

7. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I don't know about the TC, but to answer #4
    That is how it works if you assign a myset to a button, and it does seem odd but maybe Olympus is thinking people use mysets differently. If you want to switch between mysets "permanently" you have to go through the MENU button --> Reset/Myset --> Myset X --> Set.

8. CanonConvert

Nov 22, 2012
    that's a lot of buttons to press..lol.