e-pl5/omd whitebalance/color issues

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by abooAyoob, Dec 23, 2012.

1. abooAyoob

abooAyoob New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2012
    Hey everyone! Just got my e-pl5, but am not quite adjusted to it yet... One thing that bothers me is that the whitebalance seems to jump around quite a bit (autoWB) and its quite easy to shoot at the wrong wb. Another issue, is often I get either reddish or greenish tint, specially in skin tones. I have only tried the camera for two days indoors, no sunlight. I have turned keep warm colors off, shooting neutral mode. I shoot raw aswell, but would like to get decent jpegs and a better starting point for raw files.
    Have had canon dslrs and panasonic gf3, never had theese issues.

What do you think? Anyone else experienced this and/or have any tips?

2. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    How about some samples? Many OM-D and late generation PEN owners think their cameras do a very good job getting the white balance correct when shooting indoors with the camera set to AWB and "Keep Warm Colors Off" and the Gradation set to Normal. I'm not sure about the E-PL5, but my OM-D enables me to preview the effect of different white balance settings.

On the other hand, it's true Oly jpegs tend to look warmer overall compared to Canon and especially Panasonic jpegs. I personally fix this in seconds using simple free or cheap photo editing programs like the Apple Preview program than comes standard with Macintoshes.
  3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I say it's probably your lightbulbs.
    Modern CF bulbs can vary their colour tone faster than we can see but digital photos can show it.
    Go outside and use AWB on faces for a few minutes and see if the problem persists.
  4. abooAyoob

abooAyoob New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2012

@Luckypenguin: Thanx!

Red tint:

[​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="PC230115"></a>[/IMG]

Green tint:

[​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="PC230116"></a>[/IMG]

Green tint:

[​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="PC220043"></a>[/IMG]

Green tint:

[​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="PC220093"></a>[/IMG]

Sorry about the bad exposure on theese, but I haven't taken a lot of pix yet :blush:

What do you think, specially the one with the two girls, took several shots, and they look quite red in the face.

I know light bulbs are challanging lighting, and that if I go outside that it would probably get alot better (Have yet to check though, will do so later today.), but none of the other cameras Ive owned had theese kind of tints (I've taken pictures in thees rooms before, home/work).
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    In flickr, you need to press the drop down arrow next to the word "share" and copy and paste the HTML or BB code directly into this thread.
  6. Photophil

Photophil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia area
    I think part of the problem is that the ones of the girls are under exposed. It's hard to judge WB in that case. I think if you try it again (outside is a good suggestion) and get good exposures, a lot of the WB issues will go away.