E-PL5 + Olympus 17.mm f/1.8 and 45mm f/1.8 Shines at Conference Hall Event

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by isabel95, Jan 20, 2014.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

I left the VH2 home because I knew I wouldn't need it. Worked with manual settings assuming ISO 1000 would be just about right - for a few images, I chose a different ISO. White balance was auto. Used the lcd to choose my focus point shooting both from the lcd and the shutter button. Although I recorded in both jpg and raw, the color of the jpgs was better so most of these are processed from jpgs. These have no noise reduction.

I realized after switching lenses back and forth several times that the Olympus 12-40 would have been perfect for the job! Unfortunately, I don't have it AS YET!

If you need another micro 43 to park a lens on, grab the e-pl5. It is an outstanding piece of equipment!

Gallery here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/isabel95/sets/72157639981023915/

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Nice gallery Isabel. The E-PL5 is indeed an outstanding piece of equipment. Very underrated IMHO.
  3. isabel95

Thank you, pdk. I agree - it is underrated.

At first, it felt very awkward in my hands. I had to find a comfortable way for it to feel secure. Wound up putting a wrist strap on the left side, because it got in the way on the right side, so some reason.

Finding an lcd protector was difficult because there's a bump at the top of the lcd which interfered with getting the protector flat.

I also had to have the right lens. I used to use the 20mm Panasonic as my main lens, but got tired of its stubborn refusal to focus from time to time and bought the 17mm, which at first I wasn't crazy about - had to learn to compose with a wider view - the 20 just seemed pretty perfect to me. Took a while, but after the way the 17 performed today, I really love it! So much faster to focus!

Like any new piece of equipment with a different interface it takes a while to get used to. All in all the buttons are placed very intelligently and there's much I can do without looking at the camera.

For a while I got caught up in the new camera body frenzy when the EM1 came out, but after reading that I couldn't expect better IQ from it, just better ergonomics and interface, I decided against that. As far as the better stabilization goes, it doesn't stop people from moving and I take a lot of people pictures, so I'm using a fast enough shutter speed to stop most movement and don't require the stabilization.

Just hope the camera holds up before that rotating dial in the back is very vulnerable to problems - I had to send mine back for repair when the settings kept jumping around.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've been using the e-pl5 for the past year as my travel camera. I squeeze it plus the 17, 45, 9-18 and 7.5 into a not-too-big bag and it goes pretty well everywhere with me. On the strength of its IQ I dumped my Canon gear and bought an E-M5 as its grown up sister. But, I've found that most of my best shots are with the E-PL5 for the simple reason that it's with me.

So, I recently treated myself to an E-P5 for the improved controls. Time will tell if it gives me as much fun as the E-PL5, but for sure it's easier to control.
  5. isabel95

I find myself using my dslr less and less - mostly because I need the superior tele lenses I have with it, or when I need to photograph fast action, such as dog agility.

My husband very much appreciates the fact that I don't need him to carry my camera bag! :)

By the way, I LOVE the Rokinon 7.5mm for it's distorted, but fun, view of things! Great parade camera - especially if you're marching in it!

6. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Great pictures isabel, I bet my e-p5 with the 17 f1.8 is going to work out pretty well for me :smile:. BTW, I see you shot those pictures in H'ville. I actually went to good old HHS way back in the day... LOL! I still love the WNC mountains.
  7. isabel95

Thanks, Silver....

Small world!

Hope you enjoy your new combo as much as I've enjoyed mine!