1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL5 mount very tight on panny lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ccp, Jul 22, 2013.

1. ccp

ccp Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    I just recently purchased a refurb E-PL5 (body only). I already own an E-PM1 and have the Oly 14-42mm and 40-150mm zooms and the P14mm and PL25mm primes. The Oly zooms are plastic mounts, while the Panasonic primes are metal mounts. All of them work fine on my E-PM1. The plastic mount Oly lenses are fine on the E-PL5. The metal Panny mounts, however, are very snug on the E-PL5. I have to apply quite a bit of pressure when mounting and unmounting the lenses, so much so that I'm concerned about long term affects to the camera and lenses or greater potential for drops in the field. I have seen posts on the Oly 45mm being overly tight (I believe that is a metal mount as well), but not anything in general on the E-PL5.

I talked with Olympus warranty dept and they want my to send in the camera and one of the panny lenses, because it isn't a problem on the Oly lenses. My guess is it would be the same on the Oly 45mm.

My questions are:

1) Anyone else have these issues?
    2) Should I be concerned?
    3) What do you think about sending the camera and lens to Olympus Repair.

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I had an E-PL5 for a bit and didn't have the problem, but tolerances happen.

If you want the problem resolved it sounds like sending it to Olympus is the way to go. If they determine your mounting flange thickness is out of tolerance they'll probably replace it.

3. ccp

ccp Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. Any concerns with sending my p14mm to Oly repair?

4. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    If you have an email or whatever from them saying to send it, that basically constitutes your authorization. They should use it for fit tests and return it. Olympus is a very professional outfit and I wouldn't be concerned too much about it. At least that's my opinion -- perhaps others want to weigh in but I'd be willing to send one of my lenses to get the problem resolved.

5. ccp

ccp Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    Thanks entropicremnants! They just told me to put the info in the comments when I create the repair ticket online.

6. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Some of my lenses are very tight as well, but i like it that way. Have you tried tightening the small screws on the camera mount and the lens mounts? Its worth a shot. It might straighten the mounts even so slightly so that its not too tight

7. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    If you do this, be very careful not to leave tool marks on the screws or flange. Olympus won't take well to that.

8. ccp

ccp Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2012
    Thanks for the idea. I tried to tighten the screws on the p14 but they were pretty tight already, so it didn't make it any better. I didn't want to do anything to the camera mount as I can be clumsy with a screw driver and as entropicremnants said I don't want Olympus thinking I did something to the camera. ;-)

Did your mount loosen up at all?

I have noticed that the p14 seems to be okay right after replacing the Oly 14-42, but then it gets tight again if I just us the metal lenses. The PL25 isn't helped by having the Oly zoom on prior. Anyone know if there is something in the plastic that coats the mount?

One last question.

Should I ship the camera with the lens mounted or unmounted?

Thanks!