1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL5 moon shot/focusing help

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kgeissler, Nov 23, 2012.

1. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    I tried to take some pictures of the moon tonight with my E-PL5. I don't have a viewfinder (yet), so I had to use the screen. I was manual focusing, but had a hard time focusing on the screen, because the moon looked so small. Is there any way to zoom the image on the screen while focusing? Or does anyone have any tips for manually focusing with the LCD screen?

Here are my 2 best shots. The first is the zoomed out version, the second is the same image cropped:

Image 1:
    4ztNB.

Cropped:
    bkQTS.

Image 2:
    Qxb2J.

Cropped:
    wmiy6.

2. billy_pilgrim

billy_pilgrim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    You should be able to zoom in to more precisely focus using the magnifying glass button. You have to press it twice: once to show the zoom-in frame and a second time to actually zoom in.

It looks like you probably were using the kit zoom. To get a really impressive moon shot you really need a much longer lens! The moon is surprisingly small.

3. TDP

TDP Guest

You can also auto focus lock on something far enough away to be infinity then recompose and shoot. Make sure your shutter speed is fast enough so there isn't any movement from the earth that messes things up.