E-PL5 loud grinding noise on switch off

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by lming, Feb 22, 2013.

1. lming

lming New to Mu-43

Feb 22, 2013

My new E-PL5 (without lens) makes a loud grinding sound when I turn-off/shutdown it.
    Interestingly the sound is from the sensor -- when the camera is turned off the sensor moves left downward first then moves back.

I am not sure it's normal of a defect. Can anyone owns E-PL5 check yours if it makes the sound?

Many thanks in advance,

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    I don't have an EPL5. But I seem to recall my old Oly E510/620 doing that as part of the anti dust shake. Although that may have been during start up.
  3. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'loud' but my E-PL5 makes a quick 'bump' sound on switch on, and then a much longer one with the same loudness/tone on shutdown. I'm pretty sure it's normal.

AND welcome to the forums!
  4. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    There is a noise. Probably louder because you don't have a lens on (I think that's what you said).

PS -- keep a lens or cap on your body at all times, only expose the innards and sensor to the dirty world for the short periods during a lens change. Even then, don't do it in dusty areas, and try to keep your camera pointing level or downwards so nothing can drop in there.

5. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Does it make the sound if you have IS switched off when you turn off your camera? Dust reduction is performed when turning on and sensor IS "reset" or something when camera is turned off.
  6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    This not easy to explain, but the first one I got turned itself off on the first shot (and no, I wasn't pressing the power button). After sitting awhile (e.g., overnight, or for a few hours) and then taking its first shot, the camera would click/clunk around and then turn off (without even giving me a review of that shot - and no image in memory). It was only the first shot, immediately turning it back on would allow it to work normally. I sent it back to B&H and they quickly shipped me a new one that works correctly.
  7. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    I tested my E-P3 and it makes the sensor "reset" when turning off even if the IS is turned off. Maybe it was my old E-520 or E-P1 that didn't do that when IS was off.
  8. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    From Olympus' FAQ about E-P1:

Q: Sometimes when I turn off the camera, I feel a slight vibration or hear a noise. Why is that?

A: When the camera is powered down, slight vibration and noise occur as the Image Stabilization motor resets the image sensor to its default position. The E-P1 takes this action when shooting with the Image Stabilizer function set to I.S. 1, I.S. 2 or I.S. 3. In these modes, the camera moves the sensor during shooting in order to counter the effects of camera shake. When the power is turned off, the camera moves the sensor back into the default position.

When Image Stabilizer is set to OFF, the sensor does not move during shooting and so does not need to be reset. However, if shooting with a zoom lens, some noise may still be heard when the camera is powered off as the lens resets its focus to infinity.

If both Image Stabilizer and Lens Reset are set to OFF, the camera will power down in silence.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Mine does exactly the same. I assume it's the IBIS winding down/reseting.
  10. AgentRaj

AgentRaj Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2012
    Vaughan, ON
    I have the same issue...even with lens on it makes a "grinding" sound at times..
  11. lming

lming New to Mu-43

Feb 22, 2013
    Thank you guys for the warm-hearted reply. According to the discussion seems the power off "grinding" sound is normal. Though I don't understand why sensor still resets if IS is turned off. Anyways I can now accept it as a fact and happily shooting:smile:

Unfortunately I tested to turn off my E-PL5's IS and the camera still "resets" sensor on power off :(

When the lens is attached the power off noise is not much decreased...

Indeed the switch off noise is not louder than the shutter click sound. It's just longer and ... annoying
    Thank you, this forum is indeed very welcoming!
  12. PhilippePASCAL

PhilippePASCAL Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2015
    I tested on my E-PL5 even without lens attached : there is a moving sensor reset clearly visible when truning off, even with IBIS off.
    When i was using a native lens, it was hidden by lens motor. Now i use legacy, it is obvious :biggrin:

I know this thread is not new, but it may help ppl : it is normal.

Every PEN and OM-D serie behave differently : some shutter test at start or stop, some sensor reset with IBIS on, some don't care (like E-PL5), some sensor reset at start and/or stop...a mess :tongue:
  13. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    My Oly E-3 did this, and it was the most asked questions in the forums whenever anyone bought one (although I didn't ask since I saw past posts asking about the noise). Here's an example of the noise on an E-510:
  14. PhilippePASCAL

PhilippePASCAL Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2015
    I didn't noticed it until i mounted a legacy adapter.
    I was afraid about adapter messed something...but after, i thought there was no more motor moving part and so it was not a problem :wink:

It remembers me when i was afraid of a dead PEN camera because i pushed the lock button when mounting the lens, and so i got the famous black screen of death :biggrin:
    Olympus should not scare ppl like this :biglaugh:
  15. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I told Olympus off for doing this, and not having some kind of message, just like a message pops up when you have the 14-42mm lens locked.

On the dSLRs when you held the lens release button in you'd just lose the aperture information, but to have the screen go black without a message as to why it's happened it's STUPID and shame on Olympus for doing it!