E-PL5 light leak - small gap on mount bottom

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tenuis, Jul 14, 2013.

1. tenuis

tenuis New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2013
    Hi, I have just received my new e-pl5 and I am a bit worried about a possible problem on it.
    I've noticed that there is a small (say 1/2mm) gap on the bottom of the camera between the chrome ring which is in contact with the body and the black ring under the actual mount.
    When facing light, I can see some chromy things inside that shine through, and when I put a flashlight right under it, it shines through when I look inside the mount when lens is removed.

I would like to know if I need to return my camera or if it's the same on all e-pl5 and nothing to worry about (it doesn't seem to create an actual light leak with a lens on however).

Thanks !

Attached Files:

2. bkwphoto

bkwphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2013
    USA
    Brian Karl werner
    I do see a gap like that on mine. No light leaks here.

Brian

3. tenuis

tenuis New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2013
    Thank you for your answer, so I'm not alone, I'm curious if this happens on all epl-5.
    It seems there is a slight torsion of the bottom chrome ring when glued to the camera (there is a chamfer there). Then the black ring, that is independent, is perfectly straight, so this creates a gap.
    I'm also quite worried about dust entering here ... :confused:

Other e-pl5 owners, please let us now !

4. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    My camera has no gap.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hmmm....No gap on mine either....

6. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    If I saw that it would go back, if nothing else because of the dust and moisture factor.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

7. Rinaldo

Rinaldo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Have two of them, no gaps here...

8. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    No Gap on mine.

P.

9. tenuis

tenuis New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2013
    Thank you all for your reports, I really think it's a production problem with to much pressure on the bottom of the chrome ring when glued to the camera creating the gap.

I asked for a replacement on Amazon, I'll receive it tomorrow I guess. I hope everything will be OK on that new model ! I'll post an update then.

(I also posted on dpreview, it seems that the problem is not quite isolated but it remains a faulty assembly, see here)

10. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Seems like a cosmetic issue. I doubt that part serves any function than to appear pretty.

11. bkwphoto

bkwphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2013
    USA
    Brian Karl werner
    The gap is very small I had to use strong reading glasses to see it. At first glance I couldn't see mine. Agree with FlyPenFly not concerned with mine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.