E-PL5 light leak - small gap on mount bottom

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tenuis, Jul 14, 2013.

1. tenuis

tenuis New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2013
    Hi, I have just received my new e-pl5 and I am a bit worried about a possible problem on it.
    I've noticed that there is a small (say 1/2mm) gap on the bottom of the camera between the chrome ring which is in contact with the body and the black ring under the actual mount.
    When facing light, I can see some chromy things inside that shine through, and when I put a flashlight right under it, it shines through when I look inside the mount when lens is removed.

I would like to know if I need to return my camera or if it's the same on all e-pl5 and nothing to worry about (it doesn't seem to create an actual light leak with a lens on however).

Thanks !

Attached Files:

2. bkwphoto

bkwphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2013
    USA
    Brian Karl werner
    I do see a gap like that on mine. No light leaks here.

Brian

3. tenuis

tenuis New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2013
    Thank you for your answer, so I'm not alone, I'm curious if this happens on all epl-5.
    It seems there is a slight torsion of the bottom chrome ring when glued to the camera (there is a chamfer there). Then the black ring, that is independent, is perfectly straight, so this creates a gap.
    I'm also quite worried about dust entering here ... :confused:

Other e-pl5 owners, please let us now !

4. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    My camera has no gap.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hmmm....No gap on mine either....

6. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    If I saw that it would go back, if nothing else because of the dust and moisture factor.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

7. Rinaldo

Rinaldo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Have two of them, no gaps here...

8. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    No Gap on mine.

P.

9. tenuis

tenuis New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2013
    Thank you all for your reports, I really think it's a production problem with to much pressure on the bottom of the chrome ring when glued to the camera creating the gap.

I asked for a replacement on Amazon, I'll receive it tomorrow I guess. I hope everything will be OK on that new model ! I'll post an update then.

(I also posted on dpreview, it seems that the problem is not quite isolated but it remains a faulty assembly, see here)

10. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Seems like a cosmetic issue. I doubt that part serves any function than to appear pretty.

11. bkwphoto

bkwphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2013
    USA
    Brian Karl werner
    The gap is very small I had to use strong reading glasses to see it. At first glance I couldn't see mine. Agree with FlyPenFly not concerned with mine.