E-PL5 images render much brighter in image review than they really seem to be

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by emmecinque, Mar 21, 2014.

1. emmecinque

emmecinque Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    Just started using a new E-PL5, and I've been shooting with an old FL-50 flash (probably more correct to say I've been shooting with the flash since it's almost bigger than the camera :) I've been trying to get good at shooting my kids band playing shows, so I'm using that big flash with a bounce diffuser. It works really well, but I've been chronically confused by the in-camera previews, which always seem to look much, much brighter than the way the images look through any other view (basically, rendered on any computer monitor once they've been transferred). I use the flash in TTL AUTO mode, because that usually works pretty well (even when shooting through old OM lenses in aperture priority mode, which I don't thoroughly understand). However the super-bright previews have a way of fooling me into dialing down the flash power, the result being slightly dark images.

I know I can probably get used to interpreting the previews correctly, but I'm wondering if there's a setting for how the previews are shown. I think I had some similar mental issues with my old E-500 too (whose LCD was considerably more primitive of course).
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  3. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

One word: Histogram
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Is this just for flash or overall?

It is possible to adjust the brightness (and colour balance) of the LCD (or "Display" in Oly Menu/Manual language) on both my daughter's EPL-3 and my EM-5 so I assume the EPL-5 has this. You can get this as a better match to your home monitor to help as well as using the histogram as noted. I would agree that the difference seems more apparent using flash photography.

Menu, then "Spanner" then something that looks like a TV Shape with lines either side and volume steps underneath - this give you two symbols one is a thermometer (Colour temp) and Sun that is the brightness.
  5. emmecinque

emmecinque Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 21, 2014
    OK, this is exactly what I was looking for. Sorry for missing it in the Oly documentation; I went over it a couple of times but I must have misunderstood what I was reading. Yes, it's mostly about using the big flash. On the E-500, the review images almost always have parts of the image blinking the "oversaturated" warning (and I know I can disable that), even though the actual images seem fine. On the E-PL5 the images just tend to look really bright ("overexposed").

I know I should get good at interpreting histograms quickly, but at present I have to think about what I'm seeing analytically, and I still don't feel confident that I know what's good and what's bad.