1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL5: How many stops of stabilization?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cptobvious, Jan 11, 2013.

1. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    Hi, I'm a prospective first time M4/3 buyer and am considering this camera along with the 14/2.5 and 45/1.8, but also the kit lens and 40-150mm. With the telephoto, what are minimum shutter speeds like @ 150mm? Thanks

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Welcome. I started to answer this but then remembered that I use the lens IS on the Lumix 45-200. I'll be curious to see the responses.

3. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Hello and welcome.

Unlike other tests this is a difficult one to do with precision. It's easy to subconsciously wobble more in one state compared to the other. Added to this the IS system seems to make things worse if you're too steady (on a monopod for instance).
    I don't think the 2 axis IS gives you much in stoppage (I don't think of it as an agent to counteract the powers of darkness), although I think it usually certainly helps, but it will not enable you to do a long hand held exposure with any lens. I wouldn't be expecting to take good hand held shots at 150 of dim things. The 40-150 is not your go-to lens for low light situations even on an OMD. If you're on a tripod shooting a static thing you can expose as long as you like.
    Looking through my decent shots at 150 on my EPL1 the slowest I found the camera chose was 1/160. In any daylight conditions doing 'normal' shots the auto exposure speed was fine.