E-PL5 Histogram

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Slug, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Slug

Slug New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2013
    Darwin, Oz
    I'm confused with the histogram displaying on the monitor when focusing a shot (half shutter press) on my E-PL5.

Quite often (shooting in Manual) the histogram will show with the graph nicely centered/distributed - however after completing the shot, I may have either a completely under/over exposed result which when reviewed on the monitor shows the histogram completely crammed up to the left or right.

Why does it not show like this in 'pre focus'??

2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I believe what you're seeing in the histogram when composing your shot is the histogram of the gained up image of the display rather than the exposure settings you've actually set. I don't have an E-PL5 to check but I know other cameras like my X100S behaved like this.

I believe there should be some kind if setting to turn off the Auto Gain and then you'll see the exposure preview full time. On my E-PL1 it's by setting Live View Boost to off.

With Live View Boost on with my E-PL1 the histogram displays correctly for a split second while focusing during half press of the shutter then goes back to displaying the histogram for the gained up image on the screen. I don't know how the E-PL5 behaves. Perhaps someone with that camera can chime in with greater assistance for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Slug

Slug New to Mu-43

Dec 23, 2013
    Darwin, Oz
    Ah beautiful Eric - thanks, that's it.

I use the camera underwater and set the Live View Boost to ON so I can better see the LCD whilst diving (helps the aging eyes to see what I'm composing topside also .. !!)

So many settings (with subtle consequences) to remember.

Once again, thanks for your help :thumbup:

4. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    You're welcome! Glad I could help!