E-PL5 function buttons

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Photophil, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Photophil

Photophil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia area
    Hello! I'm deeply into configuring my new E-PL5, and have a few questions.
    1. What are the function buttons on this camera? There are the letters "fn" next to the "checkerboard" button and the "magnifier." Does that mean that both of these can be programed as a function?

2. I want to program one of the above buttons for spot metering. Is this possible, and if so, how?

3. Is there a way to see the effects of IS in the LCD/viewfinder? That apparently can be done on the EM-5, but I don't see it on the E-PL5.

So far, I'm really liking this camera, after 8 years with a Canon 10D. There are a few issues to be ironed out, but I'm looking at the little (a bit too little is one) Oly as a paradigm shift for me. Thanks!

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Have you tried using the custom camera menu to program?
    (I don't have mine programmed outside of default parameters - sorry) :redface:

3. nylife

nylife Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2012
    well you can make FN button be anything you want, i have mine programmed to be HDR bracketing

4. AgentRaj

AgentRaj Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2012
    Vaughan, ON
    @Photophil

I also just bought an E-PL5 and I'm very new to photo/videography. I have been looking for online tutorials on E-PL5 setup but have found none so far.

However, I did find a brief setup for OM D EM5 (link below), parts of which also apply to E-PL5. (couple of items are in a different location and a couple of items do not apply to E-PL5)...

Enjoy and please share if you find any additional E-PL5 setup resources.

DPReview OM-D Setup

5. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Ah, so twice the Fn buttons as the ePM2? Good to know - I moved AF to the top-right button on my PM2 but occasionally I power down the system instead :confused: practice practice..

6. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    • Like Like x 1