e-pl5 focusing

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kgeissler, Jan 7, 2013.

1. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    I went camping this weekend with the E-PL5 and was attempting to take pictures of birds with my 40-150 lens. I did get some good shots, but others seemed out of focus. Even when I was positive I had the focus box on the bird. Is focusing just hit or miss when you use a longer lens or am I doing something wrong. I have the focus box set to 3x3, so unless it goes smaller, I am not sure what else to do. Here is an example out of focus pic:

2. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    If I were birding, I think I'd set it to a single focus point...especially in busy trees like that one.
  3. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    That is what I have...a single, 3x3 box in the center.
  4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    ALL of my Olympus m4/3rds cameras do this plenty of times with the 40-150 lens, sometimes it takes three or four tries to get it right.
    One very beneficial technique is to focus on the ground a bit nearer than the target, then focus again on the target : it likes to be helped to find focus that way, from infront not behind.
    Totally unlike a phase-detect DSLR I'm afraid.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I have tried plenty of birding myself, and in my experience, you must use the touch screen focus with the tiniest focusing box (x14 in OMD) to get an accurate focusing. 3x3 is way too big

I used touch focus on its eye

6. Kshiz

Kshiz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    The epl5 has the new, really small, 1x1 focus box. That should be more accurate.
  7. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    How do you get that size focus box?
  8. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    You can also correct the focus with manual focus after the half press.
    In my cameras there is a mode AF+MF, it enables to correct the AF with manual focus after the half press. I found it to be very effective in bush shooting like you had.
  9. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    I've had mixed success with the 1x1 box on the E-PL5. I've set up the key line focus peaking workaround to see if that'll help me get a bit more accurate.

I'm not a fan of the 14x zoom to focus, although I'll admit that's a fantastic result. I'm just not steady enough holding the camera to get decent framing. More practice needed I guess.

(incidentally, including full-size images? We shouldn't need to scroll sideways in a full-screen browser on a 1920 pixel wide screen :( )
  10. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

Even with the Olympus factory 1x1 box is still 9 times + way too big.
    If you have used any DSLR or even the Panasonic counter part (GX1, for example), you know there is a Spot Focus function, essentially just one dot, thus a MUCH more accurate and needed result.
    I truly fail to understand why Olympus can skip such an important yet simple function on a semi-pro OMD while any other company has it. Simply frustrating
  11. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    On my OMD I found the smallest possible focus box (x14) helps a great deal when shooting wildlife. But to get that box I need to press the Fn2 button each time I turn on the camera or else the camera defaults back to a big focus box. Bottom line is that with practice, getting the focus right when shooting wildlife will eventually become second nature.