1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E-PL5 focus modes

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Cederic, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    I was walking down the street, taking photos of people as I walked past.

The camera was taking forever to focus and capture an image. At this point I remembered that I'd been using a tripod with a 2s timer (to avoid camera shake as I pressed the shutter button) last time I'd used the camera. Turned that off.

The camera was still taking forever to focus. I mean, seconds. So long that frequently it would give up and just not take a shot.

So I changed from C-AF to S-AF. (Continuous Autofocus to Single Autofocus). The camera started taking instant shots.

More experimentation is needed, and I certainly wasn't holding the button half-down to benefit from the C-AF, but I was really surprised by the change in behaviour.

I'm also struggling to get good results from Face Priority. The autofocus has even on one occasion chosen to focus on a shop-window mannekin in preference to the man walking past the window. Oddly I was happy; at least it's finally found a face!0

Not tested yet: C-AF+TR (Continuous Autofocus with Tracking - I'm guessing this is more of a sports thing).
    Not tested yet: The impact of using Full-time AF
    Not tested yet: Whether a 'home position' helps improve focus times.

Anybody have hints, suggestions, experiences with the various AF modes? Are my experiences common, and how do they compare to the OM-D?

2. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    which lens were you using?

with my EP3 and OMD, I leave face detect off always. Full Time AF off and AF Home is the med grid. I use C-AF or SAF+Manual modes.

Frank

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yeah....
    I tried really hard with C-AF. It's doable but not with standard DSLR techniques (IMHO). IMHO, anything longer than 1.5 - 2 seconds tracking is a waste. Tracking for about a second works better for me.

But I now primarily shoot in S-AF...

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I never use C-AF, but face detect is nearly instant with S-AF. It is very accurate for me when there are actual people in the scene... the only issue I have found is if I forget and leave it on and you will get false positives in other types of shooting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.