E-PL5 focus modes

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Cederic, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    I was walking down the street, taking photos of people as I walked past.

The camera was taking forever to focus and capture an image. At this point I remembered that I'd been using a tripod with a 2s timer (to avoid camera shake as I pressed the shutter button) last time I'd used the camera. Turned that off.

The camera was still taking forever to focus. I mean, seconds. So long that frequently it would give up and just not take a shot.

So I changed from C-AF to S-AF. (Continuous Autofocus to Single Autofocus). The camera started taking instant shots.

More experimentation is needed, and I certainly wasn't holding the button half-down to benefit from the C-AF, but I was really surprised by the change in behaviour.

I'm also struggling to get good results from Face Priority. The autofocus has even on one occasion chosen to focus on a shop-window mannekin in preference to the man walking past the window. Oddly I was happy; at least it's finally found a face!0

Not tested yet: C-AF+TR (Continuous Autofocus with Tracking - I'm guessing this is more of a sports thing).
    Not tested yet: The impact of using Full-time AF
    Not tested yet: Whether a 'home position' helps improve focus times.

Anybody have hints, suggestions, experiences with the various AF modes? Are my experiences common, and how do they compare to the OM-D?
  2. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    which lens were you using?

with my EP3 and OMD, I leave face detect off always. Full Time AF off and AF Home is the med grid. I use C-AF or SAF+Manual modes.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I tried really hard with C-AF. It's doable but not with standard DSLR techniques (IMHO). IMHO, anything longer than 1.5 - 2 seconds tracking is a waste. Tracking for about a second works better for me.

But I now primarily shoot in S-AF...
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I never use C-AF, but face detect is nearly instant with S-AF. It is very accurate for me when there are actual people in the scene... the only issue I have found is if I forget and leave it on and you will get false positives in other types of shooting.