1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'E-PL5 First Impressions'

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RT_Panther, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    As mentioned in the comments on your site there is Lightroom support now (via a release candidate version) since at least a week ago. I have used Raws from the EPL5 in Lightroom. My jury on the Raws in Lightroom is in (which is that I can't generally make them as good as the Jpegs whatever I do, but when the image has low light regions and high contrast then the Raw wins out).

I love the kit lens. For me the feather lightness is entirely a good thing. I don't in any way fear it will break or get damaged through any normal use.

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I find the body very solid. The kit lens is feather light but feels solid. I'm yet to use it since I'm still playing with the 45. So far so good but the manual is driving me crazy and I still can't find out how to decrease the focus areas size.

3. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
  4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Just curious how it powers up. Does the shutter fire on power-up like the EPM1 or is it relatively quiet?

5. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    The sound the shutter makes when taking a photo does not happen on power up.
    There is a slight sound on power up and more of a sound (the lens settling down) on power down, but the shutter sound is louder than either of those sounds.
    The shutter seems quieter if you use anti-shock.

6. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I just got one in the mail. I put my 45mm on it on a bright sunny day. I just got JEPEGS since I can't process raw yet. I was blown away. The enlarged pictures are incredibly well definded.

The screen is viable in bright sunlight even wearing sunglasses. In fact sunglasses make it better.

I checked an EO-MD-5 d against it. The screen is harder to see in sun . I tried to make the OMD screen brighter but got sent back to the opening screen.

Typical !

So I am saying the default screen is an improvement over the OMD. But it is noticeably smaller because it only covers part of the flip out screen.

But the flipout screen is better. I don't use it to take pictures of myself but to take pictures with my nose using the flip out screen and a clip on optical view finder. Hee Hee!

The camera is so small it is just a little bigger than the giant battery charger that comes with it. (Ok it is twice as big.) This is going to be a great candid street camera because it looks so innocent. But isn't!

7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    • Like Like x 1
  8. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Wow, this guy really doesn't like micro 4/3 does he! I get the feeling he was looking for something aesthetically magical, but I'm not sure what that would be.

9. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    His review was good for a laugh. I took a few shots. the pic of the Oly with a Pany GF-5 . It is just a little smaller. Maybe it qualifies as "small" I mean ,look how small the camera is compared to the little 17mm lens and the battery charger.

Olyimpus_E-PL_5.JPG Olyimpus_E-PL_5-4.JPG

10. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012