E-PL5: firmware upgrade

prophet

Mu-43 Regular
I read that the E-PL6 (and probably also 7) simply feature an upgraded firmware. So can anybody tell me if it is possible to upgrade the firmware of the E-PL5 to either 6 or 7, without buying a new camera?

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
The E-PL7 uses the Truepic VII processor & has WiFi (built in) & has more art filters that won't come to the earlier models. The E-M1 will be getting more because it is their top Pro model.

prophet

Mu-43 Regular
Do you think it would be worth do get either of these instead of the E-PL5 ?

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
No firmware update will take care of those differences, as the hardware is different (e.g. no wifi modul ).

Regarding above question, it really depends on what you want/need vs money. Basically the same IQ in all three (a bit different processor but that doesn't make VERY big difference to me), major things are that 6 has wifi and ISO 100, while 7 has wifi, ISO 100, 3 axis (supposedly better), more AF points and a shutter button dial (instead of menu dial). Not sure about LCD size and specs. Oh yeah, and a selfie style screen rotating (woohoo).

prophet

Mu-43 Regular
wifi is of no concern to me; an improved sensor might be. The pancake kit lense sure looks like a nice option, and the time lapse mode also seems appealing.

Dayam

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave
No firmware update will take care of those differences, as the hardware is different (e.g. no wifi modul ).

Regarding above question, it really depends on what you want/need vs money. Basically the same IQ in all three (a bit different processor but that doesn't make VERY big difference to me), major things are that 6 has wifi and ISO 100, while 7 has wifi, ISO 100, 3 axis (supposedly better), more AF points and a shutter button dial (instead of menu dial). Not sure about LCD size and specs. Oh yeah, and a selfie style screen rotating (woohoo).
I have the PL6 and it doesn't have wifi.

The ISO 100 on the PL6 is I think the only major difference.

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have the PL6 and it doesn't have wifi.

The ISO 100 on the PL6 is I think the only major difference.

i stand corrected, 6 does not have wifi in it. It did however, have the flashair sd card included, but that differs greatly from the inbuilt wifi. My bad

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom