1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-PL5: firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by prophet, Sep 4, 2014.

1. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I read that the E-PL6 (and probably also 7) simply feature an upgraded firmware. So can anybody tell me if it is possible to upgrade the firmware of the E-PL5 to either 6 or 7, without buying a new camera?

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The 5 and 6 are pretty close, but they are different cameras. The 7 is quite a bit different. AFAIK, the 5's firmware does not include features on the later cameras.

3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The E-PL7 uses the Truepic VII processor & has WiFi (built in) & has more art filters that won't come to the earlier models. The E-M1 will be getting more because it is their top Pro model.

4. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Do you think it would be worth do get either of these instead of the E-PL5 ?

5. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    No firmware update will take care of those differences, as the hardware is different (e.g. no wifi modul ).

Regarding above question, it really depends on what you want/need vs money. Basically the same IQ in all three (a bit different processor but that doesn't make VERY big difference to me), major things are that 6 has wifi and ISO 100, while 7 has wifi, ISO 100, 3 axis (supposedly better), more AF points and a shutter button dial (instead of menu dial). Not sure about LCD size and specs. Oh yeah, and a selfie style screen rotating (woohoo).

6. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    wifi is of no concern to me; an improved sensor might be. The pancake kit lense sure looks like a nice option, and the time lapse mode also seems appealing.

7. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Are lenses a top priority for you? If so, then IMO it probably isn't worth getting the pl7 over the pl5.

8. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Singapore
    Dave
    I have the PL6 and it doesn't have wifi.

The ISO 100 on the PL6 is I think the only major difference.

9. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    i stand corrected, 6 does not have wifi in it. It did however, have the flashair sd card included, but that differs greatly from the inbuilt wifi. My bad