E-PL5 & E-PM2 Leaked

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by LeeOsenton, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Whilst I like the general look of the camera's it also looks like Olympus is clearly not interested anymore in a more high level PEN... seems like they will use the OM line for that (built in EVF etc). These look like newer versions of the Mini or PL3, both of which I simply find to small for my taste. I would have preferred something along the E-P3 line, but from what I have read recently we may not see another one like that anymore...

I currently use an E-PL3 and find it to be a decent enough camera, but I really do not like the handling at all... like I said it is just too small for me (personal thing of course), and I never really liked the OM-D shape to be honest, so this might just be the end of the line for me as far as Olympus is concerned. Guess I have to hope that Panasonic will bring out a new model that does have the features I want in a range finder style body, or I am afraid I am going to have to look more seriously at Sony or Fuji... Pity as I would hate to have to leave the Mu43 forum..:)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I like the new sensor - I'll be curious to see the control layout for the E-PL5. I really like my E-P3 so I suppose I'll stick with it for a while. I might replace my E-Pl2 when the price on the E-PL5 drops.
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    My guess is that we will see Pansonic offer a GX series camera that looks like the GX1 but includes the RF style VF. With Sony doing it on the cheaper NEX-6 and Fuji on the cheaper X-E1 (cheaper being relative in both cases) I don't see how both O and P can continue to ignore that niche.

I'm thinking Panny will step up because of the price point that it seems the GX1 needs to be at to compete in the market. Maybe that line needs to be priced at $400 - $500, which would allow an integrated VF model to slot in a few hundred $ higher.

Olympus, OTOH, seems to be killing the E-PX line. If the E-M5 is in fact the middler tier of the OM-D line, and we see a cheaper version with a VF, then I will assume the chances of seeing a PEN with a VF are pretty much zero.
  4. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

My thoughts as well. With the latest announcements from Fuji and Sony I would be very surprised if Panasonic would not react. Sure they have the GH line, but I think there is a lot of interest still for a smaller camera with built in viewfinder and decent external controls... GH3 looks like an awesome camera but I simply prefer something smaller. Fuji and especially Sony are showing us it can be done (and in case of the new NEX 6 at least, for an acceptable cost).
  5. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    So they finally get round to putting a decent sensor in a Pen but take away the good looks, is it really so hard to get right Olympus?? Still find it ridiculous that they have the PL and PM lines in the first place, should always have been combined into one model.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Glad I got glass instead of the OMD....
    E-PL5 is my preferred form factor...And with the added bonus of the OMD sensor... :smile:
  7. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Well if they kept the E-PX line it would probably be pretty close to the OM-D in terms of pricing, maybe even more with the VF added
  8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    It's interesting that Olympus will now have the least expensive ILC kit by a decent margin, and it will also have a 16MP sensor, IBIS and a touch screen. Finally all the pieces come together (I don't care about touchscreen but the newer sensor in a $400 body with IBIS and a good LCD is quite a jump).

I imagine they'll simply discontinue the GX1 when the GX2 comes out. The GF5 is their small/inexpensive model now (though it won't look so good against a $400 16MP Pen), whereas GX is supposed to be more premium.

9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA

Well, I think they look fine. It is cool to have the new sensor trickle down!

But, I had asked Santa for an updated E-P5, with everything the same as the E-P3 (incl. built-in flash), with the new sensor and maybe, just maybe, a cleanly integrated tilt screen on the back.

On the other hand, an E-P5 like this may have made me downgrade from the E-M5, which is probably something Oly marketing does not want to happen.

I am now okay with the hump (though, still prefer the rangefinder style) on the OM-D as the evf ergos are good (better than my NEX-7 for me), but there are times when I would like something smaller. Now I just have to decide if I go with something smaller like the E-PM2, GX1, or maybe something completely different like the RX100 (or do I re-get an E-P3?). Maybe my phone is going to start picking up more of the slack, when the E-M5 and 20/1.7 seem too bulky to bring.
  10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The 5-axis IBIS makes a difference though, especially if you're a telephoto shooter. :wink:
  11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Can't do that (OMD/GH2/GH3) form factor - LoL sorry....:smile:
  12. amalric

Jul 24, 2012
    Rome. Italy
    I feel very much the same, but I am prevented by the large choice of lenses in m4/3, and some of the features of the format, which ensure good resolution across the frame.

I think that O&P have been missing a beat in respect to Sony and Fuji, or better, missing the plot. One clearly needs a pocketable camera and an integrated EVF. The OM-D is not really designed for pockets because of the hump. OC it offers very good stabilsation, so Oly has the problem of how to reconfigure it in a RF FF. Panny doesn't so it might be the first to confront the NEX 6 and the X-E1.
    By the pace of the evolution in the past that might happen next Spring.
    One needs to be patient and sooner or later things happen without need of changing the format all the time, except if one doesn't appreciate the system one has.
  13. Brian style

Brian style Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    I too hope the EVF finds its way into a few more bodies. Although I'm getting accustomed to live view LCDs, I just really prefer a viewfinder.
    Fuji and Sony are making it harder now that they are addressing focus issues (Fuji) and adding lenses (both).
    • Like Like x 1
  14. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Setting the new sensor and touch screen aside - I am not real impressed! They did add grips onto them or should I say for the PL added it back{never should have been removed!}. They are both the slim form factor that the last series was and thus I hate them or should I say my hands do. I find I need to have the shutter release set forward as much as possible and these have them centered. Works OK if using the LCD but awkward with the EVF{which I use 90% of the time}.

I was hoping that the new PL would be the P3 form and NOT the PL3 form. :mad: