E-PL5 does Austin

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Feb 22, 2013.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    All these were shot with the 17/1.8. Really loving this combo! Fantastic for low-light night shots. Contrary to popular opinion, the sharpness is fantastic - look at the shots of the Capitol building.

Austin, TX - a set on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  2. hitman21988

hitman21988 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    i wish flicker showed the shutter speed aperture and iso :(

nvm im a nub.... i found it.

new question is how you getting them to be so sharp at 1600? i have used 1600 about 45% of all my photos. you running it threw a program to help with noise levels? or any in camera settings you might have?

3. Nice shots with lots of great colours. BTW, the images all say they are from an E-M5, not an E-PL5.

4. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    PDK,

Hope you had a good time in my home city! If you have the means and the time, Mount Bonnell is a nice place to see a skyline (from a distance, tho) and Pennybacker Bridge on Loop 360 to the west. There are also good skyline vantage points from Barton Creek Mall in the parking lot to the northeast.

Enjoy your stay, and enjoy the local weirdness!

• Like Like x 1
  5. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Thanks for the advice. Hoping to get some sunset shots tomorrow so your advice is really great!!

I love this place, esp the weirdness!

6. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea, it's a kludge. I'm a Corel Aftershot Pro user and it won't process E-PL5 raw files. However, the files are identical to the EM-5 except for the camera type, so I just hack the exif tag to say it's an EM-5 and it works just fine :smile:

I promise, they're all shot with an E-PL5, not an EM-5 (but I'm thinking that maybe I'll upgrade/cross-grade to an EM-5 since I like the EVF and the E-PL5 with the EVF is probably no smaller than the EM-5).

7. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    No special camera settings. I always shoot raw.

Most of the images are processed with Corel's AfterShot Pro. It has its share of minor issues, but I've been using it for a few years (since when it was Bibble 4) and have grown used to it. It's actually a very good raw processor - fast and with excellent facilities. IMHO, better than LR4 in many ways and MUCH cheaper.

I'm not going out-of-my-way with noise processing. Some light noise reduction, but nothing fancy. The E-PL5 is very usable up to ISO 1600.

8. I wondered if that might have been the case. With effectively the same sensor I wouldn't expect to see a difference regardless of which camera you were using anyway.

9. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    I think if you were up on Mount Bonnell, the sunset should be in the direction of Pennybacker Bridge. Might make a good shot!

10. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Beautiful work. I feel like I went there seeing the images.

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hope you had fun here in Texas!

12. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Sure did. Austin was fantastic. Aside from the photo opportunities, I rented a bike from Mellow Johnny's on Sat and had a fantastic ride under blue skies and 70deg temperatures out to the West in the hills. Drivers were very courteous and I met a bunch of riders too all of whom were so welcolming amd friendly. Visited San Antonio on Sun. Very pretty place. I'm impressed and would love to come back at some point with the family.

13. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    I appear to have been unduly unimpressed with San Antonio. Love Austin though, and your photos have evoked nostalgia and a yearning to return.

If you haven't already, the museum's well worth a visit:
    _-41-L.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ajamils

ajamils Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Richmond, Texas
    Great pictures. Now I feel the urge to visit Austin again. It's been few years since I visited... even though it is only couple of hour drive for me (I live in Houston).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    WOOOOOOOO AUSTIN! we shoulda had a mu43 austin meetup while u were in town! tho we may have all been blown to florida in these winds today! lol!
    i turned the corner today and a huge trampoline blew over someones back fence onto the road! haha

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hey now!!!!

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Very nice work. I used to live in Austin in the late 80's so this brings back some memories.

• Like Like x 1
  18. adamrobertson

adamrobertson New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2013
    Beautiful.

• Like Like x 1